Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Sound Check Be Improved?

Hello everyone! The concept of iTunes' Sound Check is an excellent feature however it is outdated and requires some modifications. I believe the following features need to be added as a start to a better listening experience.

1) Album normalization mode support

2) Album mode by default, but track-by-track normalization when shuffle is on

3) The general feature ON and enabled by default, preferably suggestion #2

As well as an improvement to the overall algorithm so volume is matched using perceived/RMS loudness. Here are two white papers explaining what needs to be changed/implemented as supported by the Audio Engineering Society and several other technical professionals. I would love for everyone who uses this feature to send feedback (including these papers) to Apple as well because I am not sure if there are any engineers or product developers who interact on the support forums.

http://music-loudness.com/PDFs/Loudness_Alliance_White_Paper_final_v1.pdf

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/AES128-Loudness-No rmalization-Portable-Media-Players.pdf

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 1:26 PM

3 replies

Jun 19, 2015 1:38 PM in response to dewaski

You can submit enhancement requests to Apple via their feedback page.

I do disagree with your point #3 - any feature that modifies audio output should always default to OFF. Many people prefer to hear music (as far as possible) "as recorded" - if something is too quiet you turn the volume up, too loud you turn it down. Even the most sophisticated normalization algorithms affect the dynamic range to the detriment of well-recorded music.

Jun 19, 2015 4:00 PM in response to hhgttg27

ReplayGain is a good form of normalization which does not affect the audio. It merely adds a value to the file's metadata which tells the media player to turn up or down the volume between songs. This is the goal of a good loudness normalization system to not modify the audio as it was intended to sound. Dynamic range compression used in radio loudness control actually does affect the audio however which I think Spotify was initially using.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain

Jun 20, 2015 9:29 AM in response to dewaski

Apple does not reveal the details of how SoundCheck works, but you are welcome to read the vague language in this document:

iTunes: About Sound Check

Apple has made some improvements in SoundCheck in the last few years. Details of course were not provided, but it has caused a noticeable reduction in SoundCheck complaints on this Forum. The new capabilities may or may not match the recommendations in your post, but if you wish to make further suggestions to Apple, you can use the link provided by HH.

Can Sound Check Be Improved?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.