Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATH won't run

Hello,
I'm trying to run an Hardware Test on my Macbook Pro 15'' (mid 2010), but even following the instruction the AHT won't run.

I've been trying to:

• Press D and then turn on the MacBook, waiting till the gray screen comes up and then release;
  • Press D and then turn on the MacBook, waiting till the apple shows up and then release;
  • Press D and then turn on the MacBook, waiting till the loading in the apple screen was finished;
  • Turn on the MacBook and press D, till the gray screen shows up;
  • Turn on the MacBook and press D, till the apple shows up;
  • Turn on the Macbook and press D, till the apple screen finishes the loading.

Nothing of the above has been working, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something strange.

I'm trying this because sometimes my Macbook will randomly restart (actually I noticed that it happens after using some gestures such as switching between screens, using mission control, pressing the space bar to enlarge a file preview or even putting in full screen mode a video on youtube or similar) and after checking with the Support by phone they told me that it may be because some hardware issues (since I formatted my machine yesterday and initialized, then installed the software by dvd and manually brought back just files such as images, docs, photoshop projects and so on but any system file).

So before to bring it to an Apple Store, I wanted to make sure that it's about an hardware issue and - if so - where is the issue.

Thank you!

In case it's needed:

MacBook Pro 15'' - Mid 2010 | OS X Yosemite (10.103)

Processor 2,53 Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MacBook Pro 15'' - Mid 2010

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 10:50 AM

8 replies

Jun 20, 2015 7:42 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the reply.

I tried holding OPTION + D keys but it didn't work (tried from the desktop).

Regarding the other solutions (download or using the original installation disk) I wouldn't know where to start.
In the first case, I don't know how can I figure out which is the right download for my MBP, while in the second case I don't know where to go or what to do to lunch the AHT.

Thanks!

Jun 20, 2015 10:22 AM in response to f_adri

Your MBP came with two installation disks. One has the OSX on it and the other has the applications and the APPLE HARDWARE TEST. On that disk are the AHT instructions written on it.

In regards to the download option, it is this one under the Macbook Pro category:

User uploaded file

Download it like any other application and then click on it to start the AHT.

Ciao.

Jun 30, 2015 4:26 PM in response to f_adri

An error free AHT is not definitive. The Apple store genius bars have superior testing tools at their disposal.

As for the battery, I recently changed the one in my 2010 MBP as a matter of procedure. 4 to 5 years is the maximum service life that one should reasonably expect from a battery.

You might try booting into the recovery partition and check the status of the HDD via Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

Ciao.

Jun 30, 2015 4:34 PM in response to f_adri

I have my original MBP, 2006 and it still runs reasonably well (installed a second hand logic board a few months ago) and the 2010 runs better that ever with a SSD installed. So don't pack it in yet. 🙂

I have two late 2011 17" MBPs which I still feel are the best overall MBPs ever offered for sale. The 17" display is what really makes it for me. They also have SSDs installed.

Ciao.

ATH won't run

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.