Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone ever replaced the HD in a MacBook Pro?

After running a disk repair, reinstalling my OS 10.10.3 and then erase and restoring from backup, my MacBook Pro (2011 refurb) still won't start. It did come back on for about 30 min. after the backup restore but began to slow down significantly, I reinstalled the OS and now it hangs up during restart.

Based on what I've read here, I probably need to replace the HD. I'm really in a financial crunch (and looking for a new job) and can't afford to take it to an Apple store. I can get a new 500GB HD for under $70 but I've never even been inside a Mac although replacing an HD on a PC is a snap.

Has anyone done this and is it advisable given my level of expertise?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 1:47 PM

5 replies

Jun 19, 2015 11:35 PM in response to StPD

Go to iFixIt.com where you'll find very easy to follow instructions with illustrations. Believe me, it takes longer to take the screws out of the back of the MacBook than to actually swap out the drive. It's that easy. Do yourself a favor, though, and make sure you have an OS X bootable CD or USB drive already so you can put the OS onto the new drive.

Jun 20, 2015 12:47 AM in response to StPD

If I were you I'd make sure the drive is the problem before assuming the drive is bad. MBPs from that era are also known to have problems with bad SATA cables as well. It might be worth your effort to read the drive problems article at http://scsc-online.com in their How To section. I'd do this first because it can tell you about a lot of the problems that are drive problems and others that can act just like drive problems. Cable problems and drive problems can act nearly identical. There are other problems that can exist that have nothing to do with the drive at all.

Since you're pressed for money, one way to at least isolate it to either the drive/cable would be to boot off anther external drive instead of using the internal drive. Once booted, used Disk Utility to completely unmount the internal drive and run off the external drive exclusively. This will take it out of the equation completely. If problems continue it's probably the system or some type of software conflict. If problems disappear, then you've at least got it down to the cable or drive.

If you determine it's the cable or drive, one trick I that may be useful is to print out the repair instructions from iFixit.com and when you remove the screws use masking tape to affix them to the instructions where they came out. Not all the screws are the same size/length and I've seen cases where people actually forced screws that weren't the right size into the wrong place and punch right through the logic board or other components. Also be very gentle removing any connections that plug into the logic board. It's a good idea to use a very small screwdriver to work them loose by putting the blade of the screwdriver between the junction of the two connectors and gently rotating the blade back and forth to work them loose. Sometimes on older units due to heat and age the connectors can oxidize and stick a little and just pulling them out may actually pull the connector on the logic board right off of it. Be gentle and be patient.

Hope this helps.

Jul 3, 2015 1:38 PM in response to ZV137

OK. I tried to start it from an external USB drive (LaCie) that I keep my backups on but it failed on startup, at about the same point it does with every other attempt. I tried to restore from backup, which worked the first time, but now I get a box saying there is a disk error. So I'm guessing that the problem is either with the drive or the cable unless anyone has any other suggestions. Is there a way I can check the cable before replacing the drive? Thanks.

Anyone ever replaced the HD in a MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.