Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1136 iPod Not working

Hi,

I have an A1136 Classic 30Gb iPod. First off, I know it's old, but we love it!

Several weeks ago, it stopped working properly. I can't get it to play tunes. When I try to reset by holding down the center & menu "buttons", after several attempts,I get a white screen with a sketch of an iPod and caution sign and underneath it gives me the Apple support web site. Of course, when I go to the site, I find out that Apple no longer supports the device.

Before I give up the ghost on this great device, can anyone suggest what I can to do to repair? Is there anyone who can help with this?

Very much appreciate help

Thank you very much

iPod classic, Other OS, A1136 30GB

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 2:35 PM

16 replies

Jun 21, 2015 10:41 AM in response to turingtest2

Well,

Some progress!

I got the disk mode checkmark screen. I connected to my computer; windows explorer lists it as a removable hard drive and the Open Devices & Printers icon in the system tray lists the iPod -- all the while the iPod screen shows the do not remove screen, BUT iTunes does not come on. If I fire up iTunes, the iPod is not listed.

Any ideas?

Jun 21, 2015 11:10 AM in response to turingtest2

Hmmm, now after some time of my computer trying to read it, I disconnected (because computer was getting locked up).

I now get a very dull screen that says PLEASE WAIT, VERY LOW BATTERY, of course, every now and then the screen still lights up with the iPod and caution icon along with the Apple support URL. This is after I charged the iPod with a wall charger overnight

Could this be a battery problem? If so, is there a way to change out the battery?

Thank you very much

Jun 21, 2015 12:23 PM in response to turingtest2

I have changed to a different wall charger and am still getting, "please wait, battery very low" -- so will give that several hours.

How do you change batteries? Where can you get a new battery for the claasic iPod? Or is there somewhere that does change these out?

Again, appreciate you hanging with me -- hope this works!

Thank you very much

Jun 27, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Rsnic

UPDATE -- The saga continues!

Well, the battery arrived and, following a YouTube video, I installed it in about 10 minutes. I tried to use iPod, but still got the same problems so I let iPod charge overnight.

I continue to get the following three screens appearing, somewhat randomly:

• White screen with warning triangle and a sad-faced iPod and IPod support URL
  • Dark screen with universal no-go circle over a battery icon, saying Please wait battery very low
  • Dark screen with Apple icon

I followed instructions (posted in several places) to get iPod in Disk Mode. Most of the time, I get no where, but on a few occasions:

• The screen comes to life and says plug iPod into computer in several languages;
  • Plug iPod into my PC, my PC recognizes the iPod (the hardware icon in the lower left system tray lists the iPod)
  • Taking several attempts, activate iTunes
  • iPod screen starts flashing white and says do not disconnect
  • After about 30 seconds, however, the iPod is disconnected from PC and iPod never recognizes the iPod.

I have gotten the above sequence to occur several times, BUT always with same fruitless outcome.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything else I can try or is it time to bid my adieus to my faithful iPod?

Appreciate any further help

A1136 iPod Not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.