Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How high can you go with OS X and still use Final Cut Pro 7?

How high can you go with OS X and still use Final Cut Pro 7? I'm at OS X 10.8.5 and Final Cut Pro 7 still works fine. Would it still run on 10.10.2?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 1:13 PM

Any OS after 10.8 is not supported. So FCP may work, it may not. Some people have no problems, others have nothing but. Know that running older software on newer OS versions that don't support it will be problematic. Not all of the features will work the way they should.

I know that Motion and Compressor stop working under Mavericks and Yosemite. Oh, sure, a couple people say they work, but they don't work for me, and there are many many others who are like me...the apps don't work. If you need them, you'll have to get the updated versions of those...and you can't do a SEND TO from FCP on those.

My opinion? If you use this machine to earn a living...or if you rely on FCP 7...don't upgrade the OS. It doesn't buy you any more functionality with that software. If you need the new OS for other software to work...then you might consider making your computer Dual-boot. Meaning two partitions with different OS versions on both.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Steve Garman

Any OS after 10.8 is not supported. So FCP may work, it may not. Some people have no problems, others have nothing but. Know that running older software on newer OS versions that don't support it will be problematic. Not all of the features will work the way they should.

I know that Motion and Compressor stop working under Mavericks and Yosemite. Oh, sure, a couple people say they work, but they don't work for me, and there are many many others who are like me...the apps don't work. If you need them, you'll have to get the updated versions of those...and you can't do a SEND TO from FCP on those.

My opinion? If you use this machine to earn a living...or if you rely on FCP 7...don't upgrade the OS. It doesn't buy you any more functionality with that software. If you need the new OS for other software to work...then you might consider making your computer Dual-boot. Meaning two partitions with different OS versions on both.

Jun 22, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Paul Shard

I've just begun a project on FCP 7 running on Yosemite. It's a right pain in the backside. It keeps crashing. Log & Transfer doesn't seem to work for Canon video camera's. And right now, I hold my breath every time I do something different on the project in case it crashes before I can save!

May consider going over to FCP X as it is supported on latter OSs.

How high can you go with OS X and still use Final Cut Pro 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.