Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6: music starts playing by itself

Hi,

It started after update to iOS 8.3. Music on iPhone will start paying by itself when the iPhone is locked. I had it happened multiple times and can not figure it out what's causing it. Last time it was in my pocket at work and all of a sudden it started blaring out of my pocket during the meeting. It was quite embarasing.

Any suggestion how to stop this is greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 5:43 PM

108 replies

Jan 2, 2017 10:20 AM in response to borisser

Same issue here on my iPhone 5S running the latest iOS 10 (although it's happened since before the last major update). The quirk I notice is that it never auto-plays things from my playlist, but rather creates a radio channel (featuring The Pretty Reckless and never any other artist) and only auto-plays it when I'm trying to listen to something else. Whether it is in the car or I'm using headphones, I'll be listening to a song and then The Pretty Reckless Radio comes on, pausing the thing I was previously listening to. It should be noted that I cannot recall this ever happening while listening to music with just the built-in speaker, but there is no reason my car or headphones should be even capable of starting a radio channel.

I've disabled everything I can think of relating to Apple Music and Siri (and do not have random Siri or Voice Control errors), and it still happens - even once when I had Airplane Mode turned on...the song that was queued up was not one that I own and it didn't play, but that didn't stop it from trying.

Sometimes I'll go weeks without it happening but other times it will happen more than once while I'm listening to a single song. And I can't go back to my playlist from the lock screen, either; I have to unlock the phone, open Music, and press play manually - not ideal when you're driving down a busy highway. I don't have the same issues that others have with cars trying to autoplay, bad headphones, or random plays while hooked up to Bluetooth equipment and it never happens when I'm not using the phone (thankfully) but it is annoying.

Jan 28, 2017 12:25 PM in response to sizzleburger

iPhone 6, i go to youtube and all of a sudden it starts blaring a song from my music library. I have to restart YouTube sometimes many times to ovrrride this. The only was I can shut down is to open up the music app and close down the song.

Very annoying, happens all the time when I am in auxiliary mode in my car. It has nothing to do with earbuds!!

Feb 28, 2017 6:04 PM in response to borisser

I have just recently began having this problem as well. At about the same time, my apple watch battery has been draining EXTREMELY fast (stone dead within hours). I would assume that it is related to the problem somehow. Shortly before all this happened I had began using Apple Music. Its interesting that when my phone randomly begins playing music, its ONLY my downloaded apple music.

Even more interesting, I just found out a few minutes ago that my top listened to apple music had been syncing directly to my watch's storage. When I looked at what was on there, they were the EXACT songs that my phone had been playing.

I'm not sure if this problem is related to the people in this thread who don't own apple watches or use apple music, but the symptoms appear to be the same as mine. I have disabled siri/voice command on both my phone and watch, shut down all background updating of apps, and disabled music syncing to the watch. Hopefully this fixes my problem.

Mar 3, 2017 10:53 AM in response to borisser

This same issue has just started happening to me. I synced my new AppleWatch to it this past weekend and now it randomly plays music! I have ZERO music on my phone or watch. And I don't use Apple Music. It appears to be coming from my Pandora app even though it isn't open? I have also had the issue that when I play a YouTube or Facebook video and close the app, the sound continues with no app open. I have to do a hard restart to get it to stop! I am very discouraged that this has been an issue for so long and we still don't have a resolution. 😟

Mar 18, 2017 11:20 AM in response to borisser

Possible solution: Turn off "Suggested Apps". Opening the music app feature might be part of Suggested Apps. It thinks you want to listen to music so it automatically opens music for you like when headphones are detected or just randomly.

You can turn off app suggestions altogether by going to Settings > General > Handoff > turn off switch labeled "handoff" or 'Installed Apps'.

Mar 21, 2017 6:50 PM in response to borisser

Same issue happens to me when connecting in any car through AUX.

Since I purchased the iPhone 6 in 2015 the phone has worked great otherwise. Ever since the iOS 10 update though my battery's life has been horrible.

Enter the Anker iPhone 6 Charging case (works great for keeping my phone charged). But everytime I have the headphone jack extender plugged in (with my Panasonic earbuds) my music will just start randomly playing on its own, and not just music that's store she on my phone, my iCloud music as well (read: drains my battery and my data plan). It also will activate Siri for no reason and sometimes screws up / crackles the sound of perfectly normal music files.

***? I just had to remove my phone entirely from the case bc it was going Doc berserk.

Mar 24, 2017 1:46 PM in response to borisser

Was happening to me all the time. Just now it started happening and per chance since I have been thinking about deleting pandora any ways I deleted the app while the music was playing. Boom the music disappeared. Pandora really isn't as good as many of the other apps I have and now it seems like they are trying to bolster their add prices by playing in the background of people's phones and sucking up all their data. Hope this helps everyone that has had issues.

Mar 25, 2017 9:03 AM in response to borisser

I just had something like this happen yesterday. I have a 5s, iOS is up to date.
Was out driving with my roommate and we stopped at a store to pick something up, and suddenly a song I don't have on either iTunes or anywhere else started blasting through my phone, even though it was set to vibrate. The only app I had open was Pokemon Go, which I closed out of. Checked to see if any other apps were open, they weren't. When I shut the screen off, it kept playing. Turned on the lock screen and there was a blank music player up (no song or player identification, just back, pause/play and forward) and it wouldn't pause when I hit pause, just kept playing. I had to turn my phone off to get it to stop.
Still no idea what caused it but it freaked me out. Would like to know why it happened.

Mar 28, 2017 7:33 AM in response to borisser

I have a SOLUTION!!!! I have read that the IPhone 7 has the same issue one of the many reasons I haven't purchased one. While the Apple folks have been aware of the problem for several years now, the only solution given has been the "Microsoft Fix" of close everything and reboot. Rebooting in the middle of a call is not an option. This does not seem to be a plausible solution based on the fact that I do not keep apps open in the background so there is nothing to close. Therefore, the solution is to go back to the dreaded Android. While this may appear insane, it will certainly get attention and focus their attention. My Androids usually developed huge freezing problems after 6 months to a year at which point I would buy another, however, I never had the music just start randomly playing while on a phone call or in a meeting.

Mar 31, 2017 9:43 PM in response to borisser

I have the same issue. iPhone 6+, across OS versions. Has nothing to do with background apps, hand-off, headphones, etc. The phone will just randomly start playing whatever the last active audio app was (Music, Pandora, e-books, KQED, etc) even if that app has long been closed! Mind boggling. I thought it might be my iWatch (wrote that on purpose to get their attention), but I cannot replicate the issue. Guess it is time for a Google Pixel.

May 19, 2017 12:38 AM in response to borisser

Borisser,

I was having a similar problem and resolved it two ways.

The most obvious one is to reboot the iPhone.

The easier one is to open Pandora, the one I use most, or whatever music app you are using for music and play a song, then stop, and that solved my problem.

Hope you find this helpful and let me know if it does.

Cheers,

JLN

Jun 3, 2017 7:41 AM in response to ImKev

I seem to have the same problem. It seems specific to being connected to an external audio device. I shut bluetooth off most of the time. It typically happens when I end a phone call. It may happen more when the other person hangs up before I do. I don't keep apps running in the background. This happens on my iPhone 6 plus and my 7. I believe it's an OS flaw.

The only way to make it stop playing is to swipe up from the bottom control then to the left so I get to the music control. Going into the music app does not bring me to the playing song. I can't find a way to shut it off. I also don't see any answers to this.

Iphone 6: music starts playing by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.