Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to message from laptop

I had been able to sent messages from my laptop until 6/17 when I got a 2nd iPhone... I was texting & now cannot it says "Your message cannot be sent your # (the person I am texting to) is not registered with iMessage... She changed nothing on her phone. I was on with Apple support today & we could not figure out as to why I could before & not now. Has anyone else had this problem. I got my own phone as our bundle service frequently goes offline... So I would have a phone in event of emergency. But, have checked all settings with Apple tech support & we still could not figure out what has changed. My GF in NY state changed nothing on her phone. Any ideas???😟

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iPhone6

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 8:49 PM

6 replies

Jun 20, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks for responding. Yes I can message with both iPhones. I just cannot message from my Mac book to 1 phone number. I can message with both iPhones just like normal. The strange thing is that I could message that person before I got the 2nd iPhone. Here is the message I am getting, I have attached a screen shot. User uploaded file

This is my message I get only with 1 person. She has changed nothing on her phone, not changed her settings at all. I can message from my laptop to everyone else--FL, CA, TX... Just not my GF in NJ?? Weird, especially since I was able to before. I can message her from my iPhone, just not my Mac book. Thanks if you can help me.

Jun 21, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Jerseitravler

What OS version are you using? You posted in the Mountain Lion community, but your profile shows 10.10.3.

Quit the application.

In Finder hold down the option/alt key while selecting the Go menu item. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/

com.apple.iChat.plist and com.apple.imagent.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you want to make your user library permanently visible, run the below command in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

You will need to do that after any updates.

Jun 22, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Jerseitravler

Hi,

The Mac pic looks like you are using SMS (Text Forwarding) which should be set up on one of the iPhones.

Check that this is still the case (iPhone > Settings > Messages)

Check that it lists the Mac (it should read that it forwarding to 1 device at least).

If that appears to be OK then check the Send And Receive section.

This should now list the Apple ID (Mac) the greyed out iPhone number (of the one in you hand) and the other iPhone's number (and any other emails you have added on).

The greyed out number should still be ticked though. Twice I have discovered mine not to be ticked (even as a greyed out item I can not change it).

If this has happened remove the extra IDs for the moment (it will mean removing the Apple at the top).

Place the iPhone in Airplane mode for 2 minutes.

Go back to the settings and wait from the Number to verify (login).

When that has finished test be sending an iMessage to the Apple ID (Mac).

Send a reply.

Now add back the Apple ID.

Add the second iPhone Number by adding the Apple ID to the other Phone and accepting the pop ups that appear.

Now reset text Forwarding.

If the pop ups have not appeared on the Mac restart the app. You should have one from the iPhone you were working with AND the second iPhone.

User uploaded file

8:07 p.m. Monday; June 22, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

how to message from laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.