Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Termination

Hi all!

I received an email this morning. Subject: Apple ID Termination - with the following text:

Apple/iCloud ID - (correct Apple user ID)

This is your final message to notify you as of 19 - June - 2015 that you have failed to updated your iCloud ID information. Under "Know your Customer" act Apple is required by law to perform a verification of your information, failure to complete this validation will result in deletion of your Apple ID within the next three days.

Please advance below to »

To stop the deletion of your Apple & iCloud please proceed to continue to your Apple ID profile page before the deadline.

Resolution Validation Request: #K1UJL111728292

Sincerely,

Apple Guru Support

Stupidly, I clicked on the link on my iPhone (in my rather groggy, jet lagged state) and was taken to a blank page. I then realised, upon re-reading the email and registering the appalling use of the English language, that I'd probably been scammed / "phished"! Can Apple Support please advise what this is and if I've been compromised? Has anyone else received something like this?

Thanks,

Mark

<Edited by Host>

MAC, Mac OS X (10.6.2), null

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 3:37 AM

12 replies

Jun 20, 2015 3:59 AM in response to Marko-UK

This is a scam, trying to fool you into entering your login details. If you didn't actually enter them then there shouldn't be a problem. If you did, then you should change your password immediately. Note that if you want to do that you should sign out of iCloud on all your devices before doing so, then sign back in after you've changed it.

Real emails from Apple will always address you by name and come from the apple.com domain. Needless to say there is no such thing as 'Know Your Customer' legislation.

Jun 20, 2015 4:43 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger.

I feel a bit of a "tool" for even contemplating the authenticity and "clicking through", although realised my error and did not enter any details. Page was blank on my phone. Am still concerned that clicking may have given the rogues access to my device IP address and/or confirmed my details in some way.

Annoying! Thanks for taking the time to advise.

Mark

Dec 13, 2016 6:09 AM in response to Lukenus

By going to their site you may have let them know that the email account is active, so you may get further phishing emails, and possibly not just 'from' iTunes - if in doubt type in the site/store's website name, don't use links in emails.

What did you enter ? If you entered your account's password change it immediately e.g. http://appleid.apple.com (What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support)

If you entered payment details get the card cancelled and replaced.

Dec 13, 2016 12:52 PM in response to Lukenus

If you gave them your social security number, then you better be alert to the possibility of ID theft - with that number and your address, they can do all sorts of things (unfortunately). You better also alert the three credit check bureaus (such as Equifax) and alert them to possible fraud. Also, contact Social Security and see if there is a way to put an alert there.

Apple ID Termination

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.