Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8.1 Pro on Bootcamp only can use USB 2.0

I have a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and have just installed Windows 8.1 Pro using Bootcamp Assistant. But now when I plug in a USB 3.0 device, the computer will say I am using a USB 2.0 port. It seems there is some problem with the USB 3.0 driver. Please help.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 2:34 AM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Eggtart

The flash drive on which the Windows Installer is created should be USB2, because the installer does not contain a USB3 driver. The Mac hardware supports both USB2 and USB3 and will do what is necessary. A USB3 installer flash will give you a black screen or no bootable device. I suggest you find a USB2 flash device. Using a USB2 external HDD is not recommended, because it confuses the Installer on destinations available fork Windows installation.

I use a SanDisk Cruzer USB2 which has 100% success rate on all the Macs I install Windows on.

Windows 8.1 Pro on Bootcamp only can use USB 2.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.