Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple Photos photo sharing oniMAC 10.10.3

I use Yosemite 10.10.3 and Apple Photos for ll my photos.

I have two accounts on my iMAC, one for me, and another for my wife.

Is it possible to share the photos in Apple Photo between these two accounts without resorting to iCloud.

I have the Photos in a Shared folder, but when I try to set my wife up in Photos using the shared Photos file, I get a message that the permissions cannot be changed.

Am I missing something obvious ?

thanks

Stuart

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 8:07 AM

1 reply

Jun 20, 2015 9:16 AM in response to stuartfromblonay

I have the Photos in a Shared folder, but when I try to set my wife up in Photos using the shared Photos file, I get a message that the permissions cannot be changed.

Photos Libraries don't work in a Shared folder. It does not suffice to set the permissions for the Photos Library, since it is a package with a nested set of folders. The permissions and file ownership need to be correct for the files and folders inside as well.

Move the Photos Library to an external drive or to a disk partition where the "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" flag is set. Then both you and your wife can read and write to the Photos library and create new files inside the library without the ownership of the files causing problems.

The procedure is described here for iPhoto, but should work in the same way for Photos:

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

apple Photos photo sharing oniMAC 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.