Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

General question about purchasing OS X Server

Hello guys,

I am thinking about buying OS X Server 4.1 now. My question is when El Capitan comes out in Fall or a newer version of OS X Server comes out on Mac App Store, do I need to buy it again or would it be free updated?

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 6:18 AM

2 replies

Jun 22, 2015 4:38 AM in response to willyun7

Historically you would have to buy a new copy at full price, however full price is very cheap remember.

This might be different this time however as while previously different versions of OS X needed different and matching versions of Server.app Apple are supposed to be switching to a system where the version of Server.app is no longer linked to the version of OS X.

Jul 2, 2015 12:02 AM in response to willyun7

in the past the serve.app had the name of the OS X system, now they changed it as Server, means no connection to the OS X. you can buy it now, when you have El Captain it will work anyway without update. BUT can be that some features will not work or increase a possibility to have problems. So the best solotion is to update the Server.app, everytime there is one available.

as said before it is not expensive anymore, around $20, and deservers it completly. for the first time user, you will spend some time to configure it, understand it, and experiment it. if have the will to have a try, i would buy it right away.

if you are a beginner, i suggest you get in touch with the videos publish by this fellow ( http://www.toddolthoff.com/technology/YS10.10.html ), it help me a lot and help me to have a clean running server.app on my server.

best luck and welcome

General question about purchasing OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.