Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic not showing up in iTunes 12.1.2.27

My iPod Classic 7th Generation model MB565ZP does not show up in iTunes as a device.

iTunes version is 12.1.2.27

Yosemite 10.10.3

The iPod shows up in the Finder window under devices and sometimes the iPod symbol will quickly pop up where the devices show up in the iTunes window (I've yet to create that situation.sequence again that has it show up).

When going to use it after 3-4months its battery was drained (the lock switch was not on). Once it had recharged enough to turn on I found that it had completely been wiped. I'm unsure how this happened. I went to sync it with a backup from my iMac and this is when I have come up with this problem. I looked in the backups for devices in the iTunes preferences and have also noticed there is no backup for the iPod.

I have tried restarting iTunes, iPod and iMac. I have updated all software and also tried two different usb cords and ports.

Please help, I'm really hoping it's a software problem and beloved iPod classic isn't dying as they have been discontinued.

iPod classic, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 4:07 AM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2015 3:14 AM in response to turingtest2

I actually came across your post before posting this question and went through all the steps except for the 'iPod erase'.

When I first did the diagnostic mode last night this is what came up

Retracts: 2

Reallocs: 5624

Pending Sectors: 0

PowerOn Hours: 586

Start/Stops: 8080

Temp: Current 30c

Temp: Min 6c

Temp: Max 55c

I then did the 'Check iPod hard-drive for errors' and went through the repair sequence in Disk Utility. I still had the issue after that so asked the above question. I noticed that when in the normal mode and on the 'settings' menu that it said 112gb space free.

I went through your steps again after seeing your response as I may have done something in the wrong order and the diagnostic mode came up with these results:

Retracts: 2

Reallocs: 7744

Pending Sectors: 0

PowerOn Hours: 607

Start/Stops: 8102

Temp: Current 28c

Temp: Min 6c

Temp: Max 55c

I then went on to do the 'super fix' erase ipod through Disk Utility where it froze halfway through, I forced quit disk utility (not sure what else I could have done even though I know this was probably a bad idea) and disconnected the iPod. When I reconnected the iPod iTunes now recognised it but said it needed to be restored, so I proceeded with that. As it was at about 75% complete it then popped up with 'this iPod could not be restored because it is busy error 1430. when i went to Disk Utility it wouldn't let me do anything so I just ejected it (it now doesn't even show up in devices in Finder).

I restarted my iMac and iPod separately. reconnected the iPod and now it comes up with 'the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer'.

I tried to repair it again in a different user on my iMac and on my Macbook Pro and it will allow me to at least click repair disk now but it comes up with 'Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. back up as many files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files'. I tried erasing it again and it wont complete that either. The storage now also says 0kb free space.

It is 7 years old now... I feel as though it may well and truly be dead 😟 unless you have some other suggestion (thanks for your help by the way)

iPod classic not showing up in iTunes 12.1.2.27

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.