Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storage calculation

I have a macbook pro Retina mid 2012 with Yosemite

I am facing a problem with storage space and i will explain it shortly. I have tried disk utilities and repair still same problem

the problem is as follows:

in finder total size for my username under Users is 461.45:

subfolders are:

Applications - 6MB

Desktop - 23.59 GB

Documents - 40.48 GB

Downloads - 146.8 GB

Movies - 16.6 MB

Pictures - 139.91 GB

Public - 10 KB

Sites - Zeros

if we add all of the subfolders we will get a total amount of maximum 352 GB. I am missing 109 GB!!!.. this problem occured when emptying the recycle bin which had iphotos file of approx 139 GB with other files the operation for emptying was disturbed. any idea how can i use the 109 GB!? remaining as it was emptied now but not reflected.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 7:23 AM

20 replies

Jun 26, 2015 1:50 PM in response to aelshazly

In you original post you said "this problem occured when emptying the recycle bin which had iphotos file of approx 139 GB" and now you say you do not have iPhoto. Please resove this contradiction.

aelshazly wrote:

I have used both programs they both show that my username folder total size is 430 and 428 GB while in finder it is 459.9 GB..... as you can see there is a difference of 30 GB... no idea how to retrieve it

Actually they are showing essentially the same amount of data. Your Mac will display values calculated in decimal where as OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective calculates them in binary. From:

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/binary_v_decimal_measurement.htm

It states "If you are using smaller numbers, the difference between decimal and binary is rather insignificant, but as the numbers grow larger so does the disparity. As an example, there is only a 2.4% difference between a decimal and a binary kilobyte, but when you calculate a megabyte, this difference increases to approximately 5%. A gigabyte produces a difference of approximately 7.5%, which is a rather significant difference."

Ciao.

Jun 26, 2015 2:23 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you for your response, I used to have iphoto and the file was there so now iphotos doesnt work so i dont have iphoto. yet while deleting the iphoto file this occured. I understand the difference in sizes and how in gigabyte is greater and so on. but not 30 GB difference. as you can see between the 2 application there is a difference of .5 or even 1 GB...... the confusing part is that when i add in finder i get a difference of 30 GB..... which is the difference between omni app and the finder..... can i like reset or request finder to recheck the folders size

Jun 26, 2015 3:10 PM in response to aelshazly

The conversion factor from binary to decimal is approximately 1.075. If you multiply 430 and 428 by 1.075 you get 462 and 460 respectively which is very close to 459.9. The differences are very small so both OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective appear to be reflecting what you have on your HDD quite accurately.

I know of no way to have Finder recalculate the various sizes.

Ciao.

Jun 26, 2015 3:19 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

You have been very helpful, but what i mean which i couldnt explain earlier properly if you simply add the number in finder itself you will find this variation which is weird. please find attached. if you simply add all the numbers under the users aelshazly you will not find it as 459.9. and these are numbers from finder itself and no conversion factor since it is already converted.

User uploaded file

Jun 26, 2015 3:49 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

no this is not my problem my problem is items in aelshazly the 459.9 does not equal to or even close to everything under it like applications desktop documents downloads movies music pictures public and sites. if you add them even after rounding up u will find the difference of 30 GB atleast and thru out before that incident takes place they were almost always the same amount

Jun 26, 2015 4:32 PM in response to aelshazly

By my addition, there is a 44.4± GB difference.

Does OmniDiskSweeper and Grand perspective give accurate information of the total data on the HDD (Macintosh HDD)? Remember to multiply OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective totals by 1.075.

Open OmniDiskSweeper and open the USER category:

This is from mine:

User uploaded file

Are there any items in ODS that are not in Finder? If so, what are the sizes?

Ciao.

storage calculation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.