Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use two external displays with the new 2015 MacBook?

When I am not traveling, I would like to use two external 27" displays hooked up to the MacBook. I would have the MacBook on a shelf with the lid closed and work solely from the two external monitors in extended desktop. Not sure how to do that with only the one USB-C port and having to use that for power at the same time. I have a Thunderbolt Display and a non-Apple HDMI display but I am fine with replacing the Thunderbolt display with a 2nd non-Thunderbolt display if necessary to enable using dual external displays. How can I enable this setup?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), New 2015 model

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 8:09 AM

7 replies

Jun 22, 2015 6:19 AM in response to MattW214

Howdy MattW214,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if you can use two external displays with the new MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) is that right?

That model of MacBook supports only using a single external display. See the specifications on this page -

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) - Technical Specifications

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Jun 22, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Brett L

Brett - Apple's specs never really cover how to run dual displays. For example, I run dual external displays with my MacBook Air (13" mid-2013) and the tech specs on the Apple site say this about it which makes one think it too can only work with one external display:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.

I am hopeful someone has come up with a way to run dual external displays with the new MacBook and the one USB-C port likely through some sort of third-party dock or something. Not sure why Apple continues to ignore the need many of us have for running dual external displays. I prefer using a laptop which allows me to work comfortably at my desk and pick it up and take it with me. It is easy to run dual externals with the Thunderbolt port and two very expensive Apple Thunderbolt Displays, but never easy when a non-Thunderbolt display or two is in the mix.

How can I use two external displays with the new 2015 MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.