Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase my hard drive of my powerbook G4

How do I wipe clean my powerbook G4 so I can give it away

PowerBook, powerbook G4

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 10:33 AM

Insert a compatible Mac OS X(or for older PowerBook G4s, a Mac OS 9 one), use the Disk Utility(or Finder/Drive Setup) to erase the internal drive, and install a fresh OS. Include the disk with it.

(128950)

8 replies

Jun 20, 2015 10:54 AM in response to kgoodusav

You need a disk; phone Apple and order replacements, or buy a compatible one from a source such as Amazon or eBay. The compatible disks depend on the computer's exact model, but can possibly be anything from 9.2.1 to 10.5.6.

The Command and R shortcut requires 10.7 and therefore will never be available on a PowerBook G4.

(128953)

Jun 28, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Niel

This could help~ If you have a newer mac you can connect your old mac in Target disk mode. You turn off the old Mac, connect with Firewire to the old Mac, I used a thunderbolt adapter to connect my new Mac to firewire which I got at the Apple Store. Then you connect your old Mac to the new while it is turned off. Then on the new mac launch Disk Utility.

Turn on old Mac in this way: Push the "t" key and power button at the same time until you see the Firewire icon dance around the screen.

Go to new Mac and look at the disk utility app click the tab that says erase and find the Macintosh HD or Untitled from the menu on the left then click erase. The contents of the old computer HD will be erased.

Now you will need a OS X 10.5 DVD from the internet. That is the only way to install. I tried from a USB but that only works with Intel Macs. Good luck!!

Please clich solved or this helped me if this solution works for you. Sara

Jun 29, 2015 9:44 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

LOL! I refurb old Macs and give them to those in need. Things have changed so fast I shudder to think of the pile of iBooks and PBG4s stacked up in a heap. Especially I remember when I worked in an Apple Store they were sold for $799 - $2499!! And the PB I just refurbed from 10 years ago can barely even play a you tube vid with 3gb of RAM installed and a 100mbps internet connection. Apple you have to do better with product longevity.

Jun 29, 2015 10:40 AM in response to saraclosetotheearth

you are indeed a saintly person... The 'needy' are all the more "IN Need" of those disks - OR at least a clean install of the latest OSX it will take.

My old Pismo is still chugging away - after a restoration project - I have not pushed the 1GB RAM issue, but am OK with how it performs (I didn't say "happy as a clam")

System Info

Machine Name: PowerBook

Machine Model: PowerBook3,1

CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (83.0)

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 500 MHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.1.8f5

Serial Number: ••••••••••••••••

Sales Order Number: •••••••••••

User uploaded file

How do I erase my hard drive of my powerbook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.