Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I invert colors of photos on Mac?

How can I invert the colour on a photo?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 11:20 AM

You'll need a 3rd party app that can invert the image:

Some Image Editors That Support layers and can invert images:

Photoshop Elements 11 for Mac - $79

GraphicConverter - $40
Imagerie - $38
Acorn - $50

Pixelmator - $60

Seashore - Free

GIMP for Mac - Free

You will have to export the original image file out of Photos to the Desktop and do the inversion there. Then import back into Photos as a new image file. Note: Option-dragging the image thumbnail to the Desktop will give you the original file.

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2015 11:20 AM in response to Bernike

You'll need a 3rd party app that can invert the image:

Some Image Editors That Support layers and can invert images:

Photoshop Elements 11 for Mac - $79

GraphicConverter - $40
Imagerie - $38
Acorn - $50

Pixelmator - $60

Seashore - Free

GIMP for Mac - Free

You will have to export the original image file out of Photos to the Desktop and do the inversion there. Then import back into Photos as a new image file. Note: Option-dragging the image thumbnail to the Desktop will give you the original file.

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Bernike

Photos does not have a curves adjustment, that will let you turn the photo into a colour negative.

Use a different application.

An easy way to invert the colors of any photo you can select in the Finder is an Automator workflow like this.

• Launch Automator and create a new workflow.
  • Add a "Get selected Finder items" action from the Actions library to the workflow in the right panel.
  • Ad a "Apply Quartz Composition Filter" to the work flow. Set the filter to "Color Invert" and check "Luminance".

Now select your photo in the Finder an press the "Run" button. It will turn into a negative.

User uploaded file

How can I invert colors of photos on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.