Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore a video to my camera roll in a way iMovie can find it again?

Using iPhone 6+, I recorded a video that saved to my camera roll as usual. I used that video to create a movie in iMovie on that same phone. Then I imported all the phone's videos into Photos on my MacBook Pro and, not thinking, told it to delete imported files. When I went back to iMovie on my phone, it told me the original video was missing and I had a lot of yellow triangles on ever clip.

I tried:

1. Exporting the video from Photos and uploading to Dropbox so I could download it back into my camera roll. iMovie still said it couldn't find it.

2. Syncing the video to the phone using iTunes. However, I cannot get the file back in it's original location (Camera Roll) using this method.

From attempt #1 listed above, the original video is back in the camera roll and it's still not finding it which makes me wonder if the file name is somehow different? I don't know what an original video file name looks like when it's first created in the camera roll? Does it have an extension like .mov or not? Etc?

Any ideas?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 10:48 AM

1 reply

Sep 28, 2015 6:32 AM in response to oldhamn

We need a third-party app that will tell us all the filenames of the missing media, because Apple thinks it's humanly possible to recall exactly which media are missing and their original locations strictly from memory. The reason we rely on these applications is solely so that we never need to know their locations or filenames, let alone retrieve them from our memories.

How can I restore a video to my camera roll in a way iMovie can find it again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.