Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.6.8 backup copy partition before Time Machine partition?

Hi. I'm connecting two daisy-chained 2TB external hard drives via FW800 to my Intel iMac running 10.6.8. I'm dividing one drive into two partitions, the first for a Carbon Copy Cloner backup and the 2nd for storage. The other drive will be divided into three partitions, one for a backup copy of my OS that I will be able to boot from (100GB), a 2nd for Time Machine (2X the size of my primary boot drive) and the 3rd partition for more storage. I realize that I need another external to backup the storage partitions but that's down the road. Right now I only have the two externals to work with.

My question is: should I make the bootable OS copy backup partition the first and fastest partition on the 2nd external with Time Machine on the next partition after that or reverse the order? I don't really intend to be working from the OS copy backup partition but am setting it up more as a precautionary measure should I ever need to boot from that drive.

Thanks for any replies.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), I'm a heavy Photoshop user.

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 11:36 AM

2 replies

Jun 21, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your reply. Initially I thought that the backup of my OS (Snow Leopard) should go on the first 100GB partition, which is created on the outer rim of the external hard drive and is the fastest. But then I was thinking, since Time Machine is running hourly, that maybe it should go on the first partition followed by the backup copy of my OS on the slower 2nd partition (since that will only be used infrequently if at all). My concern was that I didn't want to slow down Time Machine or make the external work harder but I also understand that a bootable partition should be the fastest one.

OS 10.6.8 backup copy partition before Time Machine partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.