Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I log into an unattended Mac with Apple Remote Desktop?

We have been using LogMeIn Pro to access some remote systems.

However, we do sometimes have difficulty with LogMeIn Pro.

Is it possible to log into and control an unattended remote system with Apple Remote Desktop?

The remote systems are 2012 model Mac Pros, and a 2014 iMac. All are running OS X 10.9.5.

The main system used to control the other macs is a mid-2014 MBPr now running 10.10.3.

Thank you for any insight.

Dee Dee

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 1:16 PM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you, Kappy. My real question is, if a system is unattended, will ARD allow me to log in and take control (as in screen share)?

I was under the impression that to do that, someone has to be at the remote system to allow access.

From reading the documentation, it is really hard to tell.

Thank you so much if you can offer a definitive answer!

Dee Dee

Jun 20, 2015 1:45 PM in response to croixmom99

I have never used it, so I really don't know. Here are some other links. Understand that there are two versions of ARD - Client and Server. The Client is free. But the Server is not free. You must have it in order to control the clients. Not sure if that is what your have in mind:

OS X Yosemite- Allow access using Remote Desktop

About Remote Desktop Admin 3.8 - Apple Support

Can I log into an unattended Mac with Apple Remote Desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.