Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Boot Cheetah on PowerBook G4?

So I got this PowerBook G4. I wanted to run Cheetah on it. But the only problem is, it's an Aluminum, so it can't boot anything lower than OS X 10.2.3, and Cheetah is 10.0. So does anyone know how to change a system file to make the PowerBook boot Cheetah (or better yet, even Mac OS 9), just as some people have changed system files on an iBook G4 to run Mac OS 9? I can connect the PowerBook to my iBook G4 with FireWire or I can connect it to a MacBook Pro with FireWire (yes, I have a adapter). So, I would like to know how to boot Cheetah on my PowerBook G4 Aluminum. If you're just going to say that it isn't possible (which it is, by the way, if you change some system file), then just DON'T REPLY!!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 4:25 PM

4 replies

Jun 21, 2015 10:37 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Correct drivers for the newer computer hardware will not be present in an older version

OS X never intended to run the later model Mac. That topic appeared more than once

in your other threads which were essentially duplicated questions, regardless of replies.

Several old models of early PowerPC Mac from that era may be found online or locally

in craigslist, etc, which may be able to run an early very sketchy primitive crude OS X.

The system specifications for such early software are available online. I've owned many

(hundreds) of older Macs, repaired and donated them to charity causes, over the years.

To get a computer capable of actually doing what you seek is the answer, unless you

want to find older developer software & see if you can learn to write new drivers for 10.0.

While I can understand the desire to pursue this topic and make it work, the practical

likelihood is not all that credible at this stage of the game, given the hardware limits.

Good luck... in any case. 😐

How to Boot Cheetah on PowerBook G4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.