Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Write speed Error

I have barely ever had to use my iMac to burn discs or even read discs. The last few weeks have been a massive headache as I've been trying to install Windows 8.1 again through bootcamp and it will not read the dvd with the ISO file on it. As a matter of fact it will not read any disc with an ISO burned on it saying it's an empty disc. I've tried various write speeds (2x, 4x, 6x, 8x and more) on both my Mac and Windows workstation. When I try to create a burn my Windows 8.1 ISO to dvd on my Mac I keep getting the write speed error over and over again, and when I try to read it sees the disc as empty.

The discs I use are Verbatim DVD-R 4.7GB discs and I must have used at least 14 to try and get this to work. For some reason my Mac will read other discs like my printers install disc, and it can burn normal MP3 cd's.

Currently running OS X Yosemite (Ver 10.10.3) on a iMac (21.5-ich, Mid 2011)

• OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5690H:
  • Firmware Revision: 4AH5
  • Interconnect: ATAPI
  • Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
  • Cache: 2048 KB
  • Reads DVD: Yes
  • CD-Write: -R, -RW
  • DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
  • Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
  • Media:
  • Type: DVD-R
  • ID: MCC 03RG20
  • Blank: Yes
  • Erasable: No
  • Overwritable: Yes
  • Appendable: Yes
  • Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

Would really appreciate any help with this issue!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 7:05 PM

DVD and CD use different lasers within the optical drive so it's entirely possible for one to work perfectly and the other not so much. Try a different brand of disc.

Try resetting the SMC Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support and the PRAM How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If those resets don't help try a cleaning disc that you can get at most electronics stores. If after all of that you still can't read or write a disc it's quite possible that your drive has failed. Make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store or AASP to have it checked and if necessary get an estimate. You can have it replaced, replace it yourself or purchase an inexpensive external usb optical drive, just don't buy Apple's USB SuperDrive as it won't work with your Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Nas2k7

DVD and CD use different lasers within the optical drive so it's entirely possible for one to work perfectly and the other not so much. Try a different brand of disc.

Try resetting the SMC Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support and the PRAM How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If those resets don't help try a cleaning disc that you can get at most electronics stores. If after all of that you still can't read or write a disc it's quite possible that your drive has failed. Make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store or AASP to have it checked and if necessary get an estimate. You can have it replaced, replace it yourself or purchase an inexpensive external usb optical drive, just don't buy Apple's USB SuperDrive as it won't work with your Mac.

Write speed Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.