Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Apple Tv mirror without an internet connection?

I know if I have an internet connection with my apple tv I can get content that is loaded on apple tv such as netflix etc. butI was just wondering if it can work like a digital av adapter and mirror what is on my ipad without an internet connection.

What I would like to do is load a couple of movies onto my ipad and connect the apple tv to my tv in my trailer with an hdmi and without internet. Just wondering if I still need the digital av adapter to do this or will apple tv work like that.

And what are the benefits of apple tv sayvs a smart tv?

Trying to figure out if I should buy apple tv or just a digitalav adapter?

thanks

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 7:11 PM

3 replies

Jun 21, 2015 1:28 AM in response to robinsnest49ers

Without internet AppleTV will only show a Computers and Settings menu - other 'apps/channels' will not be available.

As noted above your big issue if the movies are from itunes Store will be AppleTV refusing to play due to the need for authorisation - this is stupid as the movie is on the iPad and will play there without such a connection. I've taken a MacMini on holiday with movies in iTunes and connected that to a TV via HDMI and that works without internet the last time I tried, but if you have an iPad the cheapest option might be just to get the adapter to allow HDMI connection of iPad to TV - works fairly well.

The authorisation does not require significant internet data but does require AppleTv to have a connection.

Jun 29, 2015 8:32 PM in response to robinsnest49ers

Just in case anyone is wondering, I am going to answer my own question.

No you can't mirror without an internet connection. Bought the Apple Tv and brought it home to try it and it didn't work.

I am going to stick with my AV digital adapter because it can mirror what's on my ipad without any internet connection. I thought that Apple Tv was kind of reduntant considering I could just use all the apps that are already on my ipad (egnetflx etc). The only bonus I saw was Apple Tv had a remote. Wouldv'ebeen nice if Apple TV could do both.

Will Apple Tv mirror without an internet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.