Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello I want to upgrade Mac OSX 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. AppStore says a dvd drive is required but my disc drive is broken/unfixable/vintage! Is there any other way to update? Thanks

Hello everyone, I want to upgrade Mac OSX 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. AppStore says a dvd drive is required but my disc drive is broken/unfixable because it is vintage. Is there any other way to update, i.e. online or usb stick? Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 20, 2015 11:16 PM

4 replies

Jun 21, 2015 12:23 PM in response to SollyBoy

Eric Root's idea would be to put your Daughter's Mac into Target Disk mode, connect your Mac and your Daughter's Mac via a Firewire cable, then have your Mac install Snow Leopard on your Daughter's Mac's disk that is mounted on your Mac as an external disk. Target Disk Mode is entered by Holding the lowercase 'T' key while booting your Daughter's Mac.

<https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10725?locale=en_US>

This assumes your Mac will run Snow Leopard, so that it can run the Snow Leopard DVD installer.

Then again, if getting your Daughter to Snow Leopard so that she can then upgrade to Lion or newer, you could use Target Disk mode to just install the operating system version you intend to install in the first place. Just make sure that if installing Lion or newer that you login to the App Store as your Daughter so that the OS, when installed on your Daughter's Mac will be signed with your Daughter's account information so that it will be easier for her to do her own OS and Security updates.

Another possibility is sharing your DVD drive over the network, and getting your Daughter's Mac to see it.

On your Mac: System Preferences -> Sharing -> DVD or CD sharing

In theory, the shared DVD should show up in the Finder Side-bar as a device that can be accessed.

If your Daughter's 10.5 Mac does not see the shared DVD, you could try getting Secrets and change some flags that get the Mac to see the shared DVD

<https://code.google.com/p/blacktree-secrets/downloads/list>

Then use the search box to look for: "Remote" and enable both of the "Show Remote disks" option on your Daughter's Mac so it will not see your Shared DVD.

And of course you could use QuickTimeKirk's idea to buy an external USB DVD drive.

Hello I want to upgrade Mac OSX 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. AppStore says a dvd drive is required but my disc drive is broken/unfixable/vintage! Is there any other way to update? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.