Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Books showing in iBooks (mac) but not iBooks (ipad or iPhone)

This week I, like others, I was forced to move my books from iTunes to iBooks. But half of my books are not syncing with the iPad or iPhone. Collections do, but not contents within them.

I've checked all the relevant sync settings and everything is up to date.

Other than reading them from my laptop I have no way to access the books. Any suggestions as to how to fix?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 1:51 AM

9 replies

Jun 21, 2015 7:59 AM in response to kimaroundtown

How exactly are you trying to sync the books to your iPad and iPhone, you're connecting the devices to your Mac's iTunes and using the device's Books tab to select and sync the books that you want on each ? The 'sync collections' setting doesn't copy books and/or PDFs onto a device, it only keeps collections in-line e.g. if you move a book into a collection on one device/computer then it will be moved into the same collection on your other devices/computers that you've synced/copied it to.

Or if they are ibooks and they were are still in the store, then you should be able to redownload them via the Purchased tab in the iBooks apps on your iPad and (if compatible with iPhones) your iPhone.

You say that you were 'forced to move my books from iTunes to iBooks' this week - do you mean that you updated your Mac to Mavericks or Yosemite ? Since the Mac iBooks app was introduced with Mavericks the management of books is done within that app not within iTunes, but syncing to a device hasn't changed.

Jun 22, 2015 3:45 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks for the response.

I'm trying to sync via iBook because iTunes no longer supports Books anymore (there is no books tab) I have Yosemite as this is a new MacBook. Books used to sync fine via iTunes.

They aren't in the store as they were ePub files obtained elsewhere (and of the books that are showing in iBooks most were sourced this way and they are still showing on all devices.)

So still unsure as to how to get books showing on laptop iBooks to sync with other devices. At this stage my only solution is to use a different e-reading app, which is really annoying.

Jun 22, 2015 5:42 AM in response to kimaroundtown

You still sync via iTunes in the same way as before, iBooks is not used for syncing content to a device (only for reading them on your Mac, anything that you add to iBooks on your Mac should show for selecting and syncing to a device in iTunes). On the current version of iTunes when you connect the device and select it in iTunes do you not see something like the following :

User uploaded file

Jun 22, 2015 10:44 PM in response to kimaroundtown

When you connect and select the device in your Mac's iTunes what do you see on the left-hand side of the iTunes screen, do you get anything that shows my screenshot from my above post ?

And when/where did you get the message and what exactly did it say ? Syncing is still done through iTunes, its only the management of books that has changed

Jun 29, 2015 6:18 AM in response to kimaroundtown

I had the similar problem back when iBooks became its' own stand-alone app with Mavericks.... For me, I had a very large library with a high percentage of PDFs files, which from what Apple Engineering could tell took an extra length of time to repopulate/organize themselves in the new iBooks app. Once the reconstruction within the app completed, iBooks seemed to respond more normally. I say "more normally" because iBooks syncing with various iDevices has never been quite as smooth as while the app was a subset of iTunes.

Jul 1, 2015 2:35 PM in response to kimaroundtown

ok for those who were going through this like i was i finally nailed it, i now have my books on my macbook pro, iPad, and iphone

** MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE ANYTHING

** if you have it set up to sync through wifi make sure they are both on the wifi network, if not then just connect the device

BACK UP DEVICE IF YOU HAVENT DONE SO ALREADY

Step 1: Once connected select the device button

Step 2: Make sure your device is selected

Step 3: Press Book under Settings (do not click books under "on my device")

Step 4: Check Sync Books

Step 5: Check All books or Selected books

*if you select All Books go to Step 6

* if you select Selected books, then just check the ones you do want on that device then move to Step 6

Step 6: Press Sync

As long as you don't uncheck the Sync Books it will continue to sync them with your device.

Hope all this helped 🙂

User uploaded file

Books showing in iBooks (mac) but not iBooks (ipad or iPhone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.