Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot trash files! Error code 36, file in use.

20 inch, early 2008 iMac running OS X Yosemite. I have been trying to trash these files for ages but to no avail.

I've tried the option and empty trash

Secure trash empty

Terminal's sudo code

Trash it program

Nothing works, now I read across a few threads that error code 36 has to do with files from an external hard drive. I think the drive that these files came from is still running on my mac so I don't see the problem. However I did have an external HDD which stopped working so it may be that the files are from there and cannot be deleted. Obviously with the HDD not working how can I delete these files? This is not a new development, this computer has been restarted multiple times and is up to date with the latest updates etc. Previously a long time ago I tried forcing files out of my trash and it created some sort of kernal problem that eventually (i think they where related) made my mac die and I had to have the built in HDD replaced. I would obviously like to avoid that again.

Lastly anyone who has any answers for me please i'm not a total idiot but i'm only tech savvy to a degree so layman terms as much as possible would help.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 3:17 AM

15 replies

Jun 22, 2015 4:32 AM in response to Linc Davis

An example of the original text I get is

'The Operation can't be completed because the item "Burn Notice" is in use.'

Then when I try and use the secure trash empty I get

'the Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "Season 1" can't be read or written.

(Error code -36)'

When I use Trash it or Terminal I don't get any messages.

Kyle

Jun 23, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

These are screenshots of the info folder when I select a folder and when I select the contents of that folder. Where the file destination says Music on the second screenshot, that was the name of an external WD HDD. The problem I have with doing Disk repair, surely that won't work as that external HDD is no longer in use. It stopped working and is no longer connected to my Mac so I can't repair the permissions on it or attach it to delete these files.

Jun 24, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Linc Davis

I verified and repaired each External HDD, however it will not allow me to verify or repair disc permissions on any of them. Do you think this could be because they are NTFS formatted? Also I tried to empty trash after the verifications and repairs and my computer crashed and restarted. This happened before when I had an old internal Hard drive and it was through a trash problem. I kept trying to delete the trash it kept crashing turned out I had some sort of Kernel corruption and my computer died and I had to buy a new internal drive for it.

Jun 24, 2015 5:22 AM in response to Rolt1

The device is formatted for Windows, as NTFS. The format is readable, but not natively writable on a Mac. To write to the device, you must either reformat it (erasing all the contents) or install third-party software to enable write access to NTFS. If you've already installed that software, it isn't working. Refer to its developer for support.

Jan 12, 2016 7:22 AM in response to Rolt1

Ok it took me a while to come back to this. I finally figured out that i needed to re download the program I'm using to allow my imac to read my external HDD's. Once i'd done that i went into each and repaired permissions on each and made sure i could read and write to all discs. Once i did this I downloaded clean my mac and made sure all the drives where up to scratch and then proceeded to clean my mac. now the trash empties all the way and the speed has been much improved. It's still a 2008 iMac so it's not moving at lightspeed but i feel it'll last me a little longer now.

Thanks to everyone who tried helping and hopefully this will help someone else.

Cannot trash files! Error code 36, file in use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.