Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom icons for individual files revert to default upon restart

I added custom icons for several of my most-used spreadsheets by using the Get Info --> copy png in Preview --> paste png method. These are custom icons for specific files; I am not looking to replace the default application icons. They look like this:

User uploaded file

When I work in one of these files, save, and restart my computer, the custom Excel icons revert to defaults:

User uploaded file

Most discussions I've found RE: icon customization have to do with altering the application defaults and icns files, not with simple individual file customization. Has anyone experienced this? What am I missing?

Thanks!

OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5, MacBook Air 2013, 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 7:01 AM

12 replies

Jun 23, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Hi Baby Boomer --

As I mentioned in my original post, I was able to change the icons using the first method described in the info page you linked. The problem is that the new icon will not stay -- if I work in the file, the icon reverts to the original and the custom icon disappears.

If anyone has encountered this problem or knows of a solution, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2015 3:58 PM in response to miagrogan

Well, I wasn't sure if you followed all of the steps. Just making sure.

========

A few suggestions to try if you have not already done so:

1- Option key>Finder>Go>Library>Preferences. Trash the com.apple.finder.plist file, repair permissions & restart your computer.

2- Run OS Recovery

Disconnect all devices from your computer except for the keyboard & mouse.

Boot up from your computer by holding down the command+r keys. This will take you to the recovery drive.

Select Disk Utility & hit Return.

In Disk Utility select the HD on the left & click on Repair Disk (bottom right).

When you reach the desktop after doing the above, again repair permissions & restart your computer.

3 - Based on your system profile....

OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Reinstall ML. Repair permissions & restart your computer.

User uploaded file

Jun 24, 2015 2:06 PM in response to miagrogan

miagrogan wrote:

Maybe it's something in Word/Excel's settings that prevent customization of individual file icons?

Not sure. I do not use either of those apps. Perhaps you should ask in theMicrosoft for Mac Support forums. It's where the Mac users who use Microsoft products hang out.

You can also set up a test account to see if the same problem crops up there. This is to rule out a system wide problem.

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2015 5:17 PM in response to kristenfromorlando

A commenter on the Microsoft forum confirms this behavior is typical for Excel. It will always overwrite the custom icon. 😠

Here's my work-around. I put a blank sheet at the front of my workbook, and placed the image I want for the icon in the upper right corner of that sheet. When the app saves the document preview, it uses that image as the preview. It looks pretty lame, but less lame than the icon preview or the default document icon.

Note you have to have the view options for the folder containing the document set to "show icon preview." I had to repair permissions to get this to take, probably because I was fiddling around with all the icons.

Custom icons for individual files revert to default upon restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.