Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I spilled on my keyboard. My daughter told me to run it through a cycle in my dishwasher. What do you think? It doesn't work now . Nothing to lose, right?

I spilled on my keyboard. My daughter told me to run it through a cycle in my dishwasher. What do you think? It doesn't work now . Nothing to lose, right?

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 11:05 AM

13 replies

Jun 21, 2015 2:44 PM in response to kittlecat

I would NOT run it through the dishwasher. However, since it's not working now, you may be able to clean it out. If it's wireless, take out the batteries and re-seal the battery compartment. You may be able to fix it by running it under a gentle stream of warm water to try and completely clean the gunk out. Then put it upside down on a towel and don't touch it for at least 2 days.

As you point out, you don't have much to lose.

Jun 22, 2015 9:00 AM in response to kittlecat

Apple made a variety of keyboards, some user-serviceable and some not. If you tell us which keyboard, we can better recommend actions that might help restore it without destroying it.

All Apple boards have a model number somewhere on them. Reading the model number may require a magnifying glass but it wiil be there, usually on the bottom. It will be a four-digit number preceded by a letter. Through May 2003, the model numbers started with "M"; after that they started with "A."

Jun 22, 2015 3:00 PM in response to kittlecat

Well, than one at least comes apart. You might be able to revive it.

I found this link in a similar Apple discussion question from 2010:

http://192.197.62.35/staff/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html

I just checked and the site is still up. The same pages are also available here:

http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html

Same author, and both have decent illustrations.

There are M7803s on eBay for around US$12 if something goes awry during the cleaning process. If you find you need a new board, however, I would consider the A1048:

User uploaded file

It superseded the M7803 and is, IMHO, the best of the "pre-aluminum" boards. The USB ports are on the back next to the cable and I find this more convenient and less cluttering. Nice key feel, too. My wife had a late-model eMac that shipped with this board and, when we upgraded her to an Intel iMac, she refused to give up the old board because it worked for her much better that the newer "flat-key" versions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.