Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Windows 8.1 work properly on new (mid-2015) Macbook Pro?

According to this review, Windows 8.1 does not run well on the new (mid-2015) Macbook Pro:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402. 0.html

They said they couldn't get all the drivers to install properly with Bootcamp, and that the keyboard and touchpad are not fully functional.

They also say Windows 8.1 doesn't work well with the Radeon R9 M370X graphics card:

The notebook switches to the more frugal graphics processor while idling, but unfortunately, this only works with OS X.

And:

Unfortunately, the MacBook Pro is affected by a very annoying problem when you use Windows, which results in frame rate drops during prolonged gaming sessions: The Radeon GPU cannot maintain its core clock of 800 MHz. The clock often fluctuates between 675 and 725 MHz, but occasionally drops to 400 MHz. The resulting stutters are very annoying, particularly when you play shooting games, and seem to be caused by thermal throttling when the core temperature reaches around 74 °C (~165 °F).

And:

While the 15-inch device is quite frugal with 6.0 to 13.3 watts while idling in OS X, the consumption dramatically explodes when you use the Microsoft operating system: 10.7 to 25.6 watts show that neither the deactivation of the Radeon GPU nor the various energy-saving features of the processor work properly. This is also the reason for the previously mentioned differences in terms of system noise and temperature development.

Is this review accurate? I have a new MBP scheduled for delivery tomorrow, but this has me wondering if I should return it and get a Dell XPS 15, since I will primarily be using it as a Windows machine.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 3:12 PM

12 replies

Jun 21, 2015 3:33 PM in response to mikenmar

And Windows 8.1 is designed to work with a touch screen. There are key stroke work-arounds but much of the Windows 8.1 experience is best utilized with a touch screen.

If you will primarily be using Windows then get a Windows computer designed for Windows 8.1.

If you will be primarily using OSX with an occasional need for Windows, you can get an Apple computer.

Jun 21, 2015 6:38 PM in response to mikenmar

The two issues you mention are definitely there. The GPU throttling on the Mac while playing Games on Windows is done for obvious reasons, battery life and thermal stability of the Mac. You can tune the CPU speed-stepping, but it may not give you what you need.

If you do plan to play games on a Mac/Bootcamp Windows using a mobile GPU, instead of a desktop GPU, this is not a very good choice. As BobTheFisherman suggests, a desktop for gaming may be a better choice.

Windows dual-GPU management is not very good either. The shortcomings of the GPUs in Windows which are not an issue on OS X side indicate driver issues, not hardware issues.

You should consider http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ZenBook-Pro-UX501JW-Notebook-Review.142308.0.h tml rather than the Dell.

Jun 22, 2015 11:37 PM in response to Loner T

I finished the install, and everything seems to be working fine. The keyboard and touchpad are fully functional. You just have to go into the Bootcamp Control Panel on the Windows side and check the "Use Function Keys..." box. There's also a tab for the touchpad.

Everything's working great so far. I actually like Windows 8.1. It works fine without a touch screen.

Does Windows 8.1 work properly on new (mid-2015) Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.