Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hack a 2008 iMac to get Target Display Mode

I just picked up our first Mac for my company's lab, a $200 used 2008 iMac. While I was setting it up, I was looking at its nice screen and thought to myself, "Gee. It'd be nice to use this Mac's screen to display my PCs and servers." I did some Googling and found a feature called Target Display Mode, and wouldn't you know that it doesn't work until late year 2009 iMacs! Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

My question is: Can I grab another Motherboard/Processor and install it in this Mac to get the required hardware for Target Display Mode? I'm an experienced PC builder, so I've got the skills and tools to accomplish the task. If it is possible, can I get directed to a compatibility guide and potential issues?

Thanks in advance!

iPad

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 6:35 PM

9 replies

Jun 24, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Kappy

Why don't I restate my questions:

1) Can I swap out the motherboard (and processor and/or other peripherals if necessary) in my 2008 iMac for a 2009 or later iMac motherboard in order to get Target Display Mode functionality?

-OR-

2) Can I swap out the motherboard for a 3rd party motherboard that would give me said functionality?

If not, I would appreciate a very brief explanation as to why.

Jun 24, 2015 2:23 PM in response to the_joey_o

In theory, yes. But stripping down an iMac and reassembling it is not an easy task, and requires more than a screwdriver. Visit OWC or iFixIt and see about finding a disassembly tutorial for that model. Study it carefully before doing anything. Determine the tools you need and get them in advance.

If you don't get it right there is no place you can go for help. Apple will not provide any support of any kind. Although the board may fit that doesn't mean it will work. The board will be a pull from another iMac with hardly any assurance that it is any good. Unless you have test equipment there is no way to test the board. Lastly, if you don't know what you are doing, then you con't know if it will work or not. No offense intended, just pointing out a consideration.

Jun 24, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Kappy

Gotcha. I'm not too worried. I've been repairing and building PCs and laptops for over a decade. I've repaired a number of Macbooks and larger tower-based Macs as well. I've just never put a part in that wasn't the intended to be there before. I wasn't sure if Apple had some special way of locking their systems down, so if you changed something as critical as the motherboard (and therefore the BIOS/UEFI/Firmware), it wouldn't allow the system to boot. If that's not the case, then this'll be a fun undertaking.

Hack a 2008 iMac to get Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.