Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting SD files from a blueray player

Hi Folks,

I have a small project where I am using video shot in HD and SD and tested a finished DVD on a Blueray player and found the quality of the

SD footage to be much better. I found this on the Sony website about Blueray:

"DVD's are standard definition video sources. Number of lines output is 576 lines, whereas your HD TV set has 720 or 1080 lines. This difference may result in a poorer image. However some DVD players are able to “upscale” picture to obtain a very good picture. Check if your DVD player has the following connectors: YUV, DVI or HDMI. For more information, refer to the instruction manual of your DVD player."

Is it possible to export these upscaled images from a Blueray player back into FCE (still preserving the HD 1080 quality)?

Has anybody tried it or know if it can be done?

Any help much appreciated.

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 12:29 AM

No, I'm pretty certain it can't be done.

In any case it won't improve the quality of your original SD video.

The info you have been reading is misleading . . . garbage.

What it should say is something like this:-

Many (older) Blu-ray players make a mess of playing SD on a 1080 TV, but some newer ones are able to play them with better apparent results than the poorer players BUT in no way will the image be better than the original SD image and it certainly won't be anything like hi-def.

You can't put details where they don't exist originally.

In any case, many people when sitting at a normal viewing distance (say around 10 feet) can't see any difference between good SD and hi-def.

It's only when you go closer that you realise the hi-def has got some fine detail that is missing from the SD.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2015 12:29 AM in response to paddymel

No, I'm pretty certain it can't be done.

In any case it won't improve the quality of your original SD video.

The info you have been reading is misleading . . . garbage.

What it should say is something like this:-

Many (older) Blu-ray players make a mess of playing SD on a 1080 TV, but some newer ones are able to play them with better apparent results than the poorer players BUT in no way will the image be better than the original SD image and it certainly won't be anything like hi-def.

You can't put details where they don't exist originally.

In any case, many people when sitting at a normal viewing distance (say around 10 feet) can't see any difference between good SD and hi-def.

It's only when you go closer that you realise the hi-def has got some fine detail that is missing from the SD.

Getting SD files from a blueray player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.