Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem printing to Brother printer in Yosemite

I'm using a late 2009 iMac (3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo) running Yosemite (10.10.3), which I just upgraded to. I found that I could not print to my Brother HL-L2380DW printer. I deleted the printer and attempted to re-add it, reinstall the drivers (the most up to date ones), and found that I could not do so unless I turned off Yosemite's firewall. Then I was able to add the printer successfully. I can't print, though, unless the firewall is turned off. So it seems to me there's some issue with the Brother printer and software and Yosemite's firewall, but I don't know how to address that. Any ideas here?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 4:20 PM

4 replies

Jun 21, 2015 5:41 PM in response to Kappy

I'm not sure how to configure the firewall to allow the printer access to the computer - I had the firewall turned on when I was running Mavericks, and I had no problem setting up or printing with this same printer. I can leave the firewall turned off; if you know of a resource that tells how to configure the firewall properly for a wireless printer (should that be necessary), that would be a big help.

Jun 21, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Brian Schefke

Sorry, but I don't use the firewall in OS X. I have a hardware router, so no need for a firewall. All that I have is: OS X- About the application firewall. If you have a hardware router and are not using your computer as an Internet server, then you probably have no need of the firewall, so turn it off. Meanwhile you can look for what you need to do in order to use the printer through a firewall if you feel strongly about having it activated.

Problem printing to Brother printer in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.