Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Waking up from Sleep and the screen stays dark

Hello everyone, I've been having this problem with my mid 2011 iMac. Sometimes (not every single time I do this), when I wake up the computer after being in sleep mode, I hear the normal sound of it waking up but it stays dark. External HD (where I keep the Time Capsule) starts working (I can hear it) and the iMac also sounds like if it was working. The problem is that the screen stays black and nothing changes that, except turning it off (pressing the power button for a while) and then back on. Its starting to get annoying and was wondering if there's anything that could solve this.
Thanks in advance!

PS: Its running the latest version of OSX Yosemite.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 21.5 inch Mid 2011 model

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 8:46 PM

2 replies

Jun 23, 2015 2:39 PM in response to tuchoprea

Greetings tuchoprea,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that sometimes when you wake your iMac from sleep, you can hear the computer running but do not get any picture on the display. To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would recommend reading over the information located in the attached article. The steps that I believe will be most beneficial to you would be Reset the system and Reset the resolution.

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

Waking up from Sleep and the screen stays dark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.