Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto suddenly will not open. There is a 'struck out circle' over the icon. When I click on it it tells me "in order to open "iPhoto" you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this M

My iPhoto suddenly will not open. There is a 'struck out circle' over the icon. When I click on it it tells me "in order to open "iPhoto" you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store. However, when I do this I get this message: Item not available. The item you've requested is not currently available in the Ireland Store.

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 1:06 AM

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2015 1:06 AM in response to sfromdublin3

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jul 22, 2015 1:45 PM in response to sfromdublin3

I just talked to Apple Support and guess what? There is no more IPhoto! They have put all the iPhoto features in "PHOTOS". Gee, that would have been a nice thing to post on their Help, or App Store, or Support pages. So don't stress, iPhoto has been re-named "Photos". At first glance it does not look like it has enough editing tools, but I just found this out so I haven't tried editing yet.

Hope this helps... I know I wasted a lot of time trying everything you did before calling!

Jul 22, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Sean in Boston

Since the next guy, Terence Devlin, was so rude, I thought I should reply to you directly:

just talked to Apple Support and guess what? There is no more IPhoto! They have put all the iPhoto features in "PHOTOS". Gee, that would have been a nice thing to post on their Help, or App Store, or Support pages. So don't stress, iPhoto has been re-named "Photos". At first glance it does not look like it has enough editing tools, but I just found this out so I haven't tried editing yet.

Hope this helps... I know I wasted a lot of time trying everything you did before calling!

Jul 22, 2015 1:52 PM in response to BoulderMtnGirl921

just talked to Apple Support and guess what? There is no more IPhoto!

This is not true. There is an iphoto and it runs on Yosemite. It's no longer developed but it exists and runs.

They have put all the iPhoto features in "PHOTOS

No they haven't. One of the more common complaints about the new app is that it is missing features that iPhoto has.

Gee, that would have been a nice thing to post on their Help, or App Store, or Support pages.

Gee, they did. It was all over the web when released a few months back, plus in the Release notes that accompanied the 10.10.3 system update. That contained nothing but information about the new app.

iPhoto has been re-named "Photos"

No it hasn't. There is a new app, called 'Photos', it's quite distinct and separate from iPhoto.

My iPhoto suddenly will not open. There is a 'struck out circle' over the icon. When I click on it it tells me "in order to open "iPhoto" you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this M

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.