Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I backup my iPhone 6 plus to iCloud?

MY iPhone 6 plus is connected to wifi in my home whenever the iPhone is in my home, in other words always. I plug my iPhone into wall power everyday while the iPhone is in the locked position. If all of these conditions are correct, and they are, why is my iPhone 6 plus not backing up to my icloud account. All of the settings on the iPhone are set for automatic backup and there is more than ample storage space in my iCloud account. In addition, why can I not do a manual backup? When I try to, after saying things like " time remaining 3 hours" Really?!? To backup 39gb of data?!?, I still can't get my iPhone 6 plus backed up to icloud.

Anybody have any suggestions?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8.1.3, iPad Air 2

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 4:57 AM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2015 5:58 AM in response to 123Luckie

Your iPhone backup weighs 39 GB of data? And you have ample free space on your iCloud account? This means you pay for iCloud storage beyond the 5 GB offered for free - right? Also, I'd imagine uploading 39 GB of content to the cloud would really take a good deal of time. With 1 M/s I'd say at least a good deal of 3 or 4 hours.

Jun 22, 2015 12:05 PM in response to aThanasi

I have an iPhone 6 plus with 64gb of storage. Of the 64gb, 32gb is in use with apps, music, photos, documents etc. My iCloud account storage is 200gb of which 30gb are currently in use. When I open settings, iCloud, backup my iPhone it says "The last backup could not be completed." Followed by "Last backup: 6/16/15 at 11:48 PM. When I click backup now, the backup process will begin, but then stop after several minutes without completing the backup. I've tried plugging the iPhone into power with wifi on and the iPhone in the locked position (because that's what the instructions say to do) overnight in order to allow it to backup to iCloud automatically, but still it has not backed up since 11:48 PM on June 16, 2015. I don't recall this happening with my previous iPhones.

One other strange occurrence is that I've been required to login into iMessage several times on this iPhone. Somehow I get bumped off iMessage periodically and have to re-login requiring the two step verification. Not sure why that's happening either.

Jul 6, 2015 5:50 AM in response to 123Luckie

This is truly interesting. Did you also try backing up the iPhone with iTunes? I bet it will fail again. Most of the times when an iOS backup fails (be it in iCloud or in iTunes), it fails due to a corrupted app or apps on the iPhone. There is a way to find which app exactly by trying the following:

1. Download a free ios app-backup utility from here

2. Run the tool and connect your iPhone for which the backup fails

3. Select all iPhone apps from the main program window and click the Back Up Apps button

4. If the backup fails, there will be a specific error message telling you at which app exactly

5. You need to delete the app in question from the iPhone and then attempt to backup via iCloud once again.

See if it works, this has helped me in the past.

Why can't I backup my iPhone 6 plus to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.