Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Greyed menu Messages

HELP!

I've tried everything.

When I start my Mac and click on Messages to open it. Nothing happens. Only the Menu appears. And I can't log in or change preferences.

I logged out of Messages because it lately hasn't been syncing with my iPhone, but now I can't log in again?

I've checked my FontBook (which I never use cause i used another font system) - Apple Gothic is valid - i don't know how to see if it's active?

BUT it is not just called AppleGothic it is called Apple SD Gothic Neo - is that normal? And it looks weird?

Hope somebody can help me!!! 🙂

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 7:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 22, 2015 11:53 AM in response to signevu

Hi,

That is not AppleGothic.

Manually open the folders Library (i.e. open the Hard Drive icon select the Library) then Fonts.

AppleGothic should be in this one.

However as a Required Font it should really be in System/Library/Fonts.

If it is in neither place then in the Font Book Menu itself use the Restore Standard Fonts option.

User uploaded file

7:53 p.m. Monday; June 22, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jun 22, 2015 11:10 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you so much!

But I'm not backing my system up with Time Machine. I have my Mac through the school where I study and we have another backing up system which I'm not familiar with - I might just have to wait after summer vacation and talk to them about it. I wouldn't dare trying restore the whole OS without their content.

But again thank you so much for you answers!

Greyed menu Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.