Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

os x cannot be installed on recovery hd

My computer will not boot up. I get a screen that gives me four option 1) Restore from Time Machine, 2) Reinstall OS X, 3) Get Online Help, 4) Disk Utility

I do not have a back up, so I simply want to Reinstall OS X, but when I do it says "This disk is locked" and will not let me restore

Thanks for any help,

Brian

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 7:06 AM

4 replies

Jun 22, 2015 8:01 AM in response to me1234

Help us help you. We have almost nothing to work with as your question stands. It could apply to several different Macs and Mac OS versions requiring different techniques. Please see these guidelines from Apple's "How to Write Good Question":

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "iOS 6.0.3" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

As your computer will not start, you can deternmine its model from its serial number using this Apple support page:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Jun 23, 2015 10:36 AM in response to Allan Jones

I Am having the same issue but with my MacBook Pro 13inch with the bigger version of ram. The laptop crashed a few times then on startup it would show a white screen and blink the apple logo and a circle with a diagonal line through it. I tried as much trouble shooting as I could with those 4 options. My version number is 13 (406).

Jun 23, 2015 1:42 PM in response to 3tol

Welcome 3tol.

This forum area is for iMacs made before 2005. Your MacBook Pro has very different troubleshooting procedures. Please repost in the MacBook Pro forums here:

MacBook Pro

As you are new, allow me to give you a tip on getting fast and effective answers here: Always start your own thread instead of tagging onto another. It is terribly hard to help more than one person per thread, and people who "tag on" can get advice inappropriate to their computer model. Tagging on also dilutes the help the original poster deserves.

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2015 6:24 PM in response to me1234

me1234, is this a computer you used to be able to use, and have important data on? A reinstall is probably not the best thing, but a data recovery attempt would be if it is:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1689

The locked indication can be due to a couple reasons. You may have enabled File Vault on the primary user. If there is no important data, an erase with Disk Utility might work. However, you could also be locked due to open firmware password protection. Those are harder to bypass.

If this is a machine you never had access to the hard drive before, but got second hand, you'll likely need to get the password of the original owner.

os x cannot be installed on recovery hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.