Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5s battery is draining after updates

After the latest update my 5s battery is draining at 8% per hour and this is without using it. It worked just fine before the update. What can be done to stop this problem besides shutting everything down? I did that and it does not help. What is the sense in having a smart phone if you have to shut everything down any way?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 10:07 AM

7 replies

Jun 24, 2015 10:36 AM in response to tbart1

Hello tbart1,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that after a recent update, your iPhone is draining battery faster than you would expect. There are two approaches here that I would consider.

First, I would recommend that you read over the attached article that explains how to optimize the iPhone’s settings and check the battery usage information to see what process or application is using your battery.

Apple - Batteries - Maximizing Performance

If your settings are optimized for performance and you are still experiencing the drain, I would suggest reinstalling the iPhone Operating System. Because you first noticed the issue after updating, reinstalling the software may resolve the issue.

Please follow the steps in the attached article to complete the process. This will only reinstall the operating system and will not erase your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you can borrow one, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force it to restart. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the Recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data.
    User uploaded file

iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

Have a great day,

Joe

Jun 25, 2015 12:32 PM in response to AppleJoe

Hi Joe

Thanks for your reply. I can only get to the recovery mode. My IPhone shows the plug , arrow and the iTunes logo but nothing ever pops up for me to select from. In other words I do not see the pic that you are showing in # 3 so I can choose update. I waited for 5 to 10 minutes but it never appeared.

Thanks again for your time and effort with my situation.

Tom

Jul 15, 2015 12:53 PM in response to tbart1

ios 8.4 battery life time.

all our users have ios devices.

all our employees that upgraded their devices are complaining about battery life time.

Even 1 of the devices is destroyed. was working 100% fine before update, after update it was continue extreme hot.

now the user even can use data of GSM network. works 1 our 2 minutes after startup.

tested my device today's standby time:

100% 11PM

this morning 8am 75%

somewhere this afternoon it was 0%

(was working 100% fine befor upgrade)

only workaround that seems to work for battery is upgrade to public beta 9 (solved issues on all devices complaining except device that burned up due to upgrade)

Apple please allow us to downgrade to ios 8.3 our fix battery issue yesterday!

Apple please test your upgrades harder, finaly in upgrade 8.3 you fixed wifi issue. now another unacceptable bug.

we pay enough for your devices and expect that basic (Phone/wifi/battery/mail/bluetooth carkit/default apps work good).

and if it does not work in new release we can downgrade to a version that works good!

please do not stop signing previous versions, we promise to not downgrade if it works good.

its really unacceptable that we cannot downgrade when a big bug like this.

5s battery is draining after updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.