You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need database similar to Microsoft Access, recommendations?

Sorry, not sure which "Community" to post this question in, thought Numbers users may know. My role at my new job requires the use of Microsoft Access. Rather than give up my Mac and buy a PC, I'm looking for recommendations for similar software that works for Mac. The database will be quite large, the data and reports needed complex. Anyone out there using something that works well for them? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 1:39 PM

8 replies

Jun 22, 2015 1:52 PM in response to DreaLeigh

Since your job requires you to run Access, why not just run Access on your Mac? I run it under Parallels and it does fine. (This is assuming you don't have a really ancient Mac).

FileMaker is a strong offering but it's different from Access and will make it difficult to for you to collaborate with Access users.

SG

Jun 22, 2015 6:17 PM in response to DreaLeigh

DreaLeigh wrote:

The database will be quite large, the data and reports needed complex.

Base (the database component of LibreOffice) may have progressed a bit since I last tried it a few years ago, but it is certainly no Access. The interface is similar to Access, but the module is meant for small-scale databases. With a database that is "quite large", you're likely to have a much better experience with Access running under Parallels.

SG

Jun 22, 2015 6:19 PM in response to SGIII

"Since your job requires you to run Access, why not just run Access on your Mac? I run it under Parallels and it does fine."

Thanks, SGIII. Can you tell me more? I was under the impression that Access was not even available for Mac. What is Parallels? Can you tell me what version of Access to purchase and install, and how to find Parallels (P), what P is, how to connect Access with P? My current version of Microsoft Office for Mac does not come with Access. The Access 2013 version reviews say that it does not work with Mac, but is this incorrect? Any additional info would be great. Thank you so much!

Jun 22, 2015 6:25 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks Csound1! Can you tell me a bit more about VM or Boot Camp? I don't have Access on my Mac at this time because the version of Office I have did not include Access for Mac. The only computers in our office that have Access are PCs, which is where the DB files currently live. ... Any additional info about 4D? Can it work with existing Access files? Thanks! Wish I knew more to ask better questions. Appreciate the help immensely!

There is no good relational database for a Mac, especially if Access is the bar to aim for. Run Access for Windows on your Mac, in a VM or in Boot Camp.

If you want to avoid Windows and don't mind a learning curve try 4D

Jun 22, 2015 6:47 PM in response to DreaLeigh

Parallels, like VM, is virtualization software that allows you to run Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac. So you buy Parallels, install a copy of Windows, and buy Access (or subscribe to Office360, which gives you the whole suite in its Mac, Windows, and iOS editions). If your Mac isn't too ancient Access will run smoothly.

Bootcamp (free Apple software) will also run Windows on a Mac, very fast. But you have to shut down the Mac and start up in Windows. With Parallels or VM, you can run Access just like any other Mac app. No need to shut down and restart. More here (dated but still relevant.)

SG

Jun 23, 2015 6:14 AM in response to DreaLeigh

DreaLeigh wrote:

Thanks Csound1! Can you tell me a bit more about VM or Boot Camp? I don't have Access on my Mac at this time because the version of Office I have did not include Access for Mac. The only computers in our office that have Access are PCs, which is where the DB files currently live. ... Any additional info about 4D? Can it work with existing Access files? Thanks! Wish I knew more to ask better questions. Appreciate the help immensely

VM stands for Virtual Machine, a Windows emulator. There re 3, I do not recommend Parallels over the other two (Fusion and VirtualBox) of the three I prefer VirtualBox. Boot Camp is not an emulator, it allows you to run Windows in native form, so it's faster but when running Windows you can't run OS X, at the same time, so less convenient.

Go to 4D's site, plenty of info there www.4D.com

Need database similar to Microsoft Access, recommendations?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.