Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to add a second Apple TV to remote app without Home Sharing?

I have many Apple TV's. I would to know if it possible add another Apple TV in the Apple Remote App, without activate Home Sharing.

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 3:39 PM

5 replies

Jun 22, 2015 7:03 PM in response to vazandrew

I have been using the remote app without Home Sharing for a while, so yes, It is possible.

In the next screen, the 3 first devices are my Apple TV added by Home Sharing. The four one is the device that remains from the time my Home Sharing was not active .

User uploaded file

Note the square is different.

Also you could see in mode edit the origin of the devices... The only device that is possible to eliminate is the one that was added withput Home Sharing.

User uploaded file

Before I activate Home Sharing I was able to add an Apple TV on the remote app, i it works fine. The problem, and the cause for my initial question is that it seems that without Home Sharing is possible add one only Apple TV...

Jun 22, 2015 8:00 PM in response to DoKlAm

You are mistaken. If you read the linked article (relevant portion quoted below) it notes that it is required regardless. I can also easily show that on my system, by turning off home sharing to make it no longer discoverable.

Remote uses Home Sharing to set up and control iTunes and Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation). To use Remote, make sure your devices are on the same network, and log in to Home Sharing on your iOS device and iTunes or Apple TV with the same Apple ID.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Is it possible to add a second Apple TV to remote app without Home Sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.