Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install off a 10.6.3 retail disc hangs at 10 minutes left . . .

Just got my Macbook Pro 4,1 back from extended warranty repair, new logic and graphics board, and am trying to install 10.6.3 off a retail DVD and it constantly hangs at 10 minutes left until finish. Using this same disc on my G5 OctaCore Tower 3,1, I had no problems installing. I had SL Server, no issues installing, on this partition and erased it prior to installing. Why am I getting this hang?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 10:18 PM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2015 10:23 PM in response to TheGuyintheProjectionBooth

Since Snow Leopard is an Intel only version of OS X, I don't understand how you installed it on a non-Intel G5 PPC machine. Are you sure you have a retail Snow Leopard DVD purchased from Apple?

If there is no version related issue, then I'd guess the DVD or the optical drive is at fault. Use alcohol and a lint-free cloth to clean the DVD.

Jun 22, 2015 10:53 PM in response to Kappy

Are you sure you really read my post. I said the disc was "retail" as was the Server version that I got prior to the release of the SAL version.

The designator for the tower is 3,1 and I did say OctaCore:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

And I did say "retail" SL disc, which I did get from Apple when they made SL non-Server available, which I also have the Server version that was released first and it installed with no problem. Just tried to install from a USB that I cloned the DVD to and it still hangs at 10 minutes. I read that SL moves all teh files to the HD and then reads them. Something is not getting read or just hanging.

Clean install off a 10.6.3 retail disc hangs at 10 minutes left . . .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.