Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I compress 2hrs of HD footage using compressor so it fits onto a standard DVD

I am filming a production that lasts 2hr-2hrs 30mins. I need to put onto standard DVD to distribute to the cast afterwards as a gift. Will compressor compress the footage to about an hour so it will fit onto 1 DVD and how would I do this?

I haven't downloaded Compressor as yet and have never used it, if it can't be done I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 9:42 AM

It will do it, but normally 2 hours is the limit for SD DVD. You can get more on one, but you're using higher compression that may show image quality degradation. Compressor can do it. Also, Toast will do it, also. If you have no use for Compressor but to make DVDs like this, go with Toast. If you regularly have other compression needs, get Compressor.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 9:42 AM in response to jhind1972

It will do it, but normally 2 hours is the limit for SD DVD. You can get more on one, but you're using higher compression that may show image quality degradation. Compressor can do it. Also, Toast will do it, also. If you have no use for Compressor but to make DVDs like this, go with Toast. If you regularly have other compression needs, get Compressor.

Jul 12, 2015 4:14 AM in response to BenB

Thanks Ben I'll have a look at Toast, does Compressor burn direct to DVD with DVD menu's etc?

I'm using iDVD to burn DVD's but the newer iMac's won't recognise the program and i can't find one that is as good i.e the Motion Menu's. Looks like Apple have stopped updating iDVD and the old DVD Pro that came with the old Final Cut is no longer available. Any help would be appreciated

Jul 12, 2015 6:41 AM in response to jhind1972

Compressor will burn directly but with very basic menus. Its DVD capabilities are essentially the same as FCP X, except that there are some additional encoding controls – none of which involve authoring.

jhind1972 wrote:

I'm using iDVD to burn DVD's but the newer iMac's won't recognise the program

Have you not been able to install iDVD? AFAIK, it should install. So should DVD Pro.

Russ

Jul 12, 2015 11:20 AM in response to jhind1972

Compressor 4.2 is much more user-friendly than previous versions, but it is still not the most accessible application and tough to learn by trial and error.

Tom Wolsky has a concise description of Compressor hereand it's a useful guide to both new and old users.

You need to make a custom preset – building it from a duplicate of the built-in Create DVD. Then make you adjustments to your MPEG-2 bit rate

Russ

Jul 25, 2015 10:58 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ,

I'm in the middle of sussing the program out, I've compressed a 1hr 30min Quicktime FCP video using the Create DVD option, which has worked fine. It's been converted to MP2 though which my iDVD program doesn't recognise so I need to revert it back to Quicktime :/

I've dowloaded a conversion program and hope it will convert the MP2 back to Quicktime without uncompressing the video, which I'm then hoping will work with iDVD and fit onto a standard DVD, bit of a faff.....otherwise I'll have to bypass the compression faze and just use Dual Layer DVD's instead.

Thanks Jason

Jul 26, 2015 5:29 AM in response to jhind1972

Afraid it's not going to work in iDVD…unless you use adual layer disk format. Pretty sure that 2 hours is the limit for iDVD. The only other alternatives would be to split the movie into two disks or to use another authoring application.

If you can use the dual layer format, then bypass Compressor altogether and give iDVD your originally exported movie; it will not accept MPEG2, as you've already noted. Don't convert the MPEG2 back to QuickTime; you will need to mux the separate audio and video streams and you will also lose quality.

Russ

can I compress 2hrs of HD footage using compressor so it fits onto a standard DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.