Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook was broken! How can I get my documents from hard disk?

I did not back up and I left all my documents on my macbook! How can I get y documents if I have hard disk?

Thank you,

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 3:02 AM

2 replies

Jun 23, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Sabitbek

If you have removed the physical hard disk drive from the failed MacBook, you could try

and perhaps access its content by using another computer, and a wire adapter kit, which

may be capable of read-only mode, so some of your old files may be accessible, then.

Here is an example of one type of "universal drive adapter USB" which includes a wire

kit, and a power adapter to run the drive independent of port power, as needed. There

are other brands and types that do fairly much the same thing, and quality computer

stores or resellers of accessories may have something that does a similar job. Do be

sure there is a good return/refund policy to take it back, if it won't work for you.

•NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB... at OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

If the hard disk drive is still inside the MacBook, and the unit has FireWire ports, it may

be possible to try to access the hard disk drive content by seeing if the computer can

be started up in Target Disk Mode and use the cable to access your files, from another

Mac that has suitable connectors. A later model Mac with Thunderbolt may be able to

use a special cable to access FireWire. Or an AppleStore genius may be able to help

you access the old MacBook's hard disk drive. You'd need to set an appointment to be

able to reserve some time with a genius. An authorized Apple service provider may be

of help, so if there are no Apple Stores with on staff genius, an independent reseller with

service department may be able (for a fee) be able to offer advice or help in this process.

•How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

By identifying the computer model, by sales order build year or other clues, your issue

could be more directly resolved; at least where hardware differences over time are major

in what advice may be given on what to do. A newest MacBook 12-inch is really different;

so the word is not really by itself a detailed identifier; and omission of /Air or /Pro from the

name also matters quite a bit.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

My Macbook was broken! How can I get my documents from hard disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.