Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mapped drum notation display

Here is something strange.

I have created a midi drum track with the usual complement of drum groups i.e. kick, snare, toms and cymbals.

I have used a mapped drum track with two voices so that I can orientate the stem directions as I need them to display e.g. snare up and kick down.

If I only have the mapped drum staff with a single voice all the notes from what ever drum group all have the same stem orientation.

The staff (stave) type selected in the staff styles set up screen is a single 5 line staff which is what shows in the window on the left hand side of the Staff Styles set up screen.

What displays as notation however is a 2 x 5 lines staff with the cymbals and snare on the upper staff and toms and kick on the lower staff.

Not what I expected to see !

The notation display I'm referring to is the one that opens when I click on the Track region where the options are Piano Roll, Score or Step.

It doesn't matter whether I open a single line notation or wrapped display or page display, the result is in all cases a 2 times 5 line staff.

If I open the separate score display by pressing Command 5 then the notation shows as required i.e. 1 times 5 line staff with all the notes for the selected groups displayed in the single staff with the stems in the required direction.

Could I be doing something wrong in my set up ?

If the notation displays correctly in one display why not in both ?

Swingtones

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), Logic Pro X 10.1.1.1

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 3:33 AM

5 replies

Jun 23, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Swingtones

You possibly could have two issues going on here so you will need to check both.

1/ staff styles are tied to regions - you cannot have more than one staff style assigned to the same region. (remember for point 3 )

2/ by default the score window opens in content linked mode or whatever mode was last selected in that window even after you close it.

make sure the link mode is set the same for both windows or you may be looking at different regions. As an example make sure of now they are both in content link mode (yellow) to verify.

3/ if #2 is not your issue than it could be that you are looking at different regions. Reference #1 above. If you see two different staff configurations, then you may actually have two different staff styles assigned ( check this in the inspector please for both the embedded score editor and the window score editor. If you see two different staff styles in the inspector ( compare the embedded to the window) - than you must have two regions and it is possible one is under the other. Just delete one of the regions (or move to another track) and see if there is any underneath - Command Z to undo - You can also open the event list ( correct track/region selected) and go up to the highest level and see if two regions exists.

These could be the only two items which would lend itself to what you are seeing as far as I know. I suspect 2/ will be the answer but not sure as I don't know how many tracks/regions you have and how you configured your staff style. Some screen shots of the main window, staff style and score window would be very helpful if the answers above don't correct what you are seeing.

Jun 28, 2015 8:25 AM in response to Indyuser

Hi there Indyuser,

Thanks for the response. I spent half of yesterday trying to sort out the problem . I checked everything you suggested but could not resolve it. I came to the conclusion that somehow the file may be corrupted. I then opened a new file from the Big Band template I have created, entered a few bars of drum notes and everything displayed correctly.

After that I copied the contents ff all the regions from the original file into the new file, including the drum part and the drum part displayed correctly.

I then saved that as my new working project file.

If you would like to see the effect I was getting that led to my original query I'll be happy to post a screen shot - if I can work out how to do that !

or I could email you the file to look at.

Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to try to assist

regards

Swingtones

Jun 29, 2015 6:11 PM in response to Indyuser

See attached... The issue between the floating score window and the embedded score window not looking the same is that you have "explode Polyphony" enabled ( checked ) in the view drop down of the embedded score editor. This view option separates voices from a single staff and puts each voice on a separate staff. Its use is to make editing voice assignments easier as they can be seen and manipulated on separate staves.

User uploaded file

Mapped drum notation display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.