Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some emails don't go into sent folder

I am running the latest version of Yosemite on a MacBook Pro Retina 15" and just recently when I email this one person and include an attachment of a PDF, that email does not go into my sent folder after it is sent. I know that it does get sent because that person will reply to the email but it is no where in my sent folder which is not good if I need to access that attachment on my iPhone or iPad.

Why is this happening? Is there a new but within Mail? Because I also have a new problem that used to happen with a previous version of the OS where once I attach that file, I can then no longer save over that file or delete it and empty the trash as long as Mail is open. I get the message that it is in use and I have to quit Mail to do anything with it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 15", 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB Hard Dri

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 6:29 AM

45 replies

Jun 24, 2015 3:58 AM in response to Linc Davis

That didn't work. I should mention that these emails also don't appear in my sent folder when logged into iCloud through a web browser or on my iPad or iPhone.

Also, this morning I sent a text message to someone and it doesn't show up in the conversation on my Mac. I sent the text message from my Mac. It does show up on my iPhone and iPad though.

I think there is something wrong with my iCloud account which scares me because my Safari history also doesn't sync and it should. I've tried everything to get that to sync and the only thing that works is creating a new iCloud account but if I do that I lose my email address.

Jun 24, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Scott Raymond

Please sign out of iCloud in its preference pane. No data will be removed from the servers, and you can retrieve it by signing back in. That said, you should always have a current archiveof the data for safety's sake, even if you don't sign out.

Also sign out of iMessage and sign back in.

If you use iCloud Keychain, when you sign back in to iCloud follow one of the procedures described in this support article to set it up on an additional device.

Jun 24, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Scott Raymond

Scott Raymond wrote:

Thanks, but that isn't it. I already have all my devices set up to be using the same sent folder on the iCloud server. And it just started happening and only seems to happen when I email this one person and include an attachment. Otherwise all of my sent mail is going into that sent folder.

Are they all the same iCloud account? Otherwise, how did you do that?

Jun 24, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Barney-15E

Yes, same iCloud account. In the settings on each device you can choose the draft folder you want to use as well as the sent folder and trash folder. On all of my devices I've chosen these folders on the iCloud server instead of on the local device so I have access to all of those emails on all devices. But now some sent emails are just disappearing into oblivion and aren't anywhere to be found. It made it difficult when I wanted to use a device to find that attachment and it was stored on my computer at home. Normally I could grab the attachment from my email on the iPhone or iPad but I couldn't with this sent mail that I sent a couple of times and it just disappears.

Jun 24, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Scott Raymond

I've tried everything to get that to sync and the only thing that works is creating a new iCloud account but if I do that I lose my email address.

Have you tried creating a new user account on your Mac, set everything up iCloud-wise in that account, and test? It sounds to me like it may be something in your user account on the Mac, not necessarily iCloud. Maybe the indexes aren't getting updated correctly.

Are you missing any sent items from your other devices? i.e. if you send from your iPhone, does it show up in Sent on all other devices (except, perhaps Mac Mail)?

As to the missing text messages, Apple has set up two-factor authentication (app-specific passwords) for Messages. It wasn't that obvious, but until I logged in with that app-specific password, I wasn't getting messages in Messages.

Jun 24, 2015 10:17 AM in response to Barney-15E

If it were my user account on my Mac, wouldn't history still sync between my iPhone and iPad? Because they don't. And when I tested the new iCloud account I tested it between the iPad and iPhone and history started syncing immediately.

The same sent emails are missing from all devices. Very strange.

As far as the missing text message, it is only on the Mac. It appears there on my iPhone and iPad. So far it is just one message so not a big deal. And I just logged out of everything on my iPhone and iPad and reset network settings and logged back in and had to sign in with app-specific passwords so hopefully that helps. I will do the same with my Mac when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2015 7:37 PM in response to Scott Raymond

OK, so tonight I signed out of iCloud, Messages, and FaceTime and back in with my iCloud ID. Now I have done this on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook pro. And history does not sync. But more importantly, when I send a PDF to someone that email does not go into sent. This is now happening with another recipient as I had to send another PDF tonight to someone else.

Jun 24, 2015 8:42 PM in response to Scott Raymond

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jun 25, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks. I'll try this all when I have some time. But thought I would post what just happened this morning. The two emails I sent last night, after logging out of iCloud and back in, with PDF attachments that did not go into my Sent folder are in a folder that says:

On My Mac

Recovered Messages (iCloud)

Why did they go into that folder instead of Sent?

some emails don't go into sent folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.