Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move songs from 1 iPod to a new iTunes account

My brother is giving me an old iPod (either a Nano 4 or 5 not sure, coming from out of town). It has Cd's he owns copied to it. Can I sync it to to my iTunes on my computer? I want to sync for a backup, as well as I probably will end up purchasing a new iPod and would want to transfer songs. To the best of his knowledge there are no songs purchased from Apple Store. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 7:19 AM

2 replies

Jun 23, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Stuart Goldberg

If it is separate households now shouldn't you also buy the CDs then if you want that music? You're going to end up spending money somewhere here because the software you need to get the songs off the iPod usually isn't free.

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. Media syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848 - only purchases from iTunes Store

For transferring other items from an i-device to a computer you will have to use third party commercial software. See this document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991

Jun 24, 2015 5:30 AM in response to Stuart Goldberg

Thanks for the input. I think you are saying this is a copy write infringement. I knew this applied to iTunes purchases didn't realize it also applied to CD's. I am not really a music person, just thought this would be a good source for background music when entertaining. I guess I'll use this gifted iPod until it dies and then look into purchase of a few "albums" on iTune that would possibly have a compilation of backgroud music by a mix of artists. I can't possibly imagine software to transfer being as expensive as purchasing music for a full iPad. I would even know who to purchase. on the other hand I would not want to do anything unethical. Thanks for the help.

How do I move songs from 1 iPod to a new iTunes account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.