Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scripter Plugin - Ignore accidental repeated note within specified timeframe

Hi,

I am trying to write a script for Mainstage Scripter plugin that ignores a duplicate note message within the range of say 100 milliseconds. ie., if a C-2 note on event is received, pass it through to the instrument, and then if any more C-2 note on events are received within 100 milliseconds of the first event, do not pass them through. Kind of like a Midi time gate or something...

The problem I'm trying to solve is that I use my sustain pedal to trigger kick drum samples by converting the CC64 to a Note C-2 using Midipipe (I know I can do this directly with Scripter now but its working) and send it to the Mainstage instrument. But because the sustain pedal is just a physical switch, any slight contact of the switch sends a 127/0 value of CC64, which isn't a problem with sustain, but when it's converted to C-2, it triggers a kick drum sample. This means that sometimes I get double or triple notes when hitting the pedal. As long as I hit the pedal cleanly it doesn't usually happen, but in a live scenario it often happens at the worst times haha...

I am great at stealing scripts from other people and messing around with them to get them to solve my problems, but I actually have no idea what I'm doing, so I have hit a wall, and I can't find anyone else who has tried to solve a similar problem.

Hope that makes sense, any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Jeremy

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 8:43 AM

4 replies

Jun 25, 2015 1:48 AM in response to jeremypeterallen

I think, this can be done with scripter, however, I'd take a look at the switch of your sustain pedal first. Maybe you need a unit, that has a microswitch with a bit of hysteresis to avoid the contact bounce. Maybe cleaning it with DeOxit might help.

Another idea: Use something like the Shadow Stompin'Bass. Here's a video using a headphone for that:

https://youtu.be/cmuTJp8JiZA

This seems to me much better, since it offers some dynamic playing as well.

Hope this helps,

DaCaptain

Jun 25, 2015 2:15 PM in response to DaCaptain

No that doesn't really help...

I'm well aware of other foot pedals and switches, but I have a thousand reasons not worth going into as to why I want mine to work...

That's why I didn't say, "hey this is what I've been doing, but is there another option to do this rather than my sustain pedal?"

I clean out the pedal regularly and it does help for a period of time, but I don't want to keep doing this...

Jun 26, 2015 2:12 AM in response to jeremypeterallen

That's OK. Try this script:

>>>>>

// Contact DeBouncer

var myTimestamp = 0;

function HandleMIDI(event)

{

if(event instanceof ControlChange)

{

switch(event.number)

{

default: event.send(); break;

case 64:

{

if(event.value > 64) // sustain On

{

var currentTime = Date.now();

var delta = currentTime - myTimestamp;

// Trace(delta);

if(delta > 2000) // this is 2000 ms. Change as needed

{

myTimestamp = currentTime;

event.send();

}

}

else

event.send();

} break;

}

}

else

event.send();

}

<<<<<<<

Best,

DaCaptain

Scripter Plugin - Ignore accidental repeated note within specified timeframe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.