Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook: HDMI to VGA?

I just received my MacBook, and I also have the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. However, sometimes I need to connect to VGA (99% of projectors still use VGA). The question is: can I just connect a HDMI to VGA connector to the multiport adapter? These are very cheap, ~$5, so I prefer this to buying another $79 adapter from Apple -- although not a very elegant solution! Has anyone tried?

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 9:17 AM

8 replies

Jun 24, 2015 9:53 AM in response to ahostmadsen

I tried it with a HDMI to VGA adapter and it did not work - I called Apple and got a somewhat vague response to 1) try another adapter or 2) buy the multiport AV VGA.

The dealer that I got the Macbook from felt that it should NOT work because you were going from HDMI to VGA and would need some sort of apple cable

So I guess the jury is out on this as the HDMI to VGA adapter I bought did NOT work

Jun 24, 2015 10:37 AM in response to jbarnett12

jbarnett12 wrote:

I tried it with a HDMI to VGA adapter and it did not work - I called Apple and got a somewhat vague response to 1) try another adapter or 2) buy the multiport AV VGA.

The dealer that I got the Macbook from felt that it should NOT work because you were going from HDMI to VGA and would need some sort of apple cable

So I guess the jury is out on this as the HDMI to VGA adapter I bought did NOT work

Exactly what I feared. I read that daisy-chaning with the adaptor does not always work. But I don't want to spend another $80 on a VGA adaptor. Of course, if we wait, there will probably be third party USB-C to VGA adapters. USB-C is quickly getting adopted.

Jun 24, 2015 3:44 PM in response to ahostmadsen

Exactly what I feared. I read that daisy-chaning with the adaptor does not always work. But I don't want to spend another $80 on a VGA adaptor. Of course, if we wait, there will probably be third party USB-C to VGA adapters. USB-C is quickly getting adopted.

Confirming my hypothesis. There is this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1134198&gclid=CjwKEAjwqqm sBRDGy_3h_eS80jYSJACS95CvfH7azB3TXCZuMWwbyLyrDcYL1c3Qr93R4mwQ0ET-ExoCrVrw_wcB&Q= &m=Y&is=REG&A=details

Not available yet, and still quite expensive. But less than Apple's adapter.

Jun 24, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

VGA is analog. HDMI is digital. There is no way that a simple cable adapter, without circuitry, would ever be able to convert digital to analog. That would require a digital to analog converter (a DAC) to be built into the cable, relates to the cost.

Well, I'm sure the cable adapters on Amazon has this built in. They seem to be quite smart, even converting resolution, according to reviews, so, not passive, but still just $5-$10. But from the previous answer, as I suspected, they do not necessarily work with the Apple's USB-C adapter.

MacBook: HDMI to VGA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.