Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If the 2008 mac pro will run El Capitan, why do we not have windows 10 drivers to maintain other current projects?

The 2008 Mac Pro will run the latest OS X software why could it not also support Windows 10 in BootCamp to keep up with the other side as well. I have a GTX 680 Mac Edition that I would like to run on Windows 10 for some gaming & to keep up with others that use Windows 10 for projects.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), El Capitan

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 11:16 AM

5 replies

Jun 23, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Frozenwerx

There is a forum for Windows (Boot Camp)

Apple has always been slow to the table getting support and drivers such as when Windows 7 (and 8 and 8.1) came out and never before full release let alone current Build 10130 - not even RC or RTM.

The UEFI 2.0 in the 2008 does not support the minimum for Windows UEFI.

So what is holding you back from installing and testig 10 in its Preview state? There are onlne guides. Or run it in a VM as all the VM products have added support.

Just dedicate a drive, boot from the installer you created, you don't need to limit yourself to using BootCamp Assistant even.

Jun 24, 2015 2:55 AM in response to Frozenwerx

For what it's worth I successfully installed the Windows 10 preview via Boot Camp on a Mac Pro 2010 model via Yosemite, and also successfully installed the current Yosemite Boot Camp drivers into Windows 10.

The Boot Camp drivers may or may not have been absolutely necessary but they are working and at a minimum fixed the keyboard layout issues that non-Americans almost always otherwise suffer from when mixing Mac and Windows. The Boot Camp control panel also works to enable setting what drive to boot from.

I now with the latest Windows 10 updates even have HDMI audio working successfully. This is something Apple by themselves do not enable in Yosemite. (A third-party kext can fix this.)

Jun 24, 2015 11:44 AM in response to The hatter

That is what i read, but I have a 2006 mac pro that runs windows 7 64-bit just because windows has its own UEFI, so the main question i guess is why it won't let you install without a work around & why the install won't let you at least install the software to boot back into OS X.

The 2006 uses the 2008 drivers and software just fine though, but has to be originally installed on the 2008 then put into the 2006. if I had a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro I could probably install windows 10 on that and then put in the SSD into the 2008 and I bet it would run fine, but I don't have a 2009 or 2010 mac pro unfortunately.

If the 2008 mac pro will run El Capitan, why do we not have windows 10 drivers to maintain other current projects?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.