Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manually entering formulas

I have created a Numbers spreadsheet to help my wife and I track our carb and protein intake (we are on a sugar restricted diet). I want to be able to sum each column by day, which means I will sum only a range, not an entire column. In the Mac Numbers app, it is easy enough to type =sum(b4:b12) [for example], but I have not found any way to do that in the iPad version of Numbers. The only way I have found is to double click on the cell where I want to formula, and then drag the bar. Not very elegant when I have to move the screen several times. Is there any way to just type the formula in the iOS version of Numbers?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 1:09 PM

6 replies

Jun 24, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Camping Doc

I'm not entirely clear how you are attempting to enter the formula, but yes, you can sum groups of cells that are not directly adjacent.

Basically in the Keyboard in the cell to contain the formula:

1. Tap = to select the formula mode
  2. Tap SUM
  3. Tap the Cell range in the formula, then tap and drag to select the first range.
  4. Tap and drag the second range.

See "Quickly Sum a Range of Cells: here:

http://help.apple.com/numbers/ipad/2.5/#/tan727173a8

But as far as just typing in the formula as text, no.

Jun 24, 2015 8:31 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Thank you for your reply. However, the technique you outlined is precisely what I am trying to avoid. I already know how to do the tap and drag. Given the very small amount of real estate on the iPad 2 screen, that is not easy. I usually have to move the table, grab the selection handles,drag, and then repeat all of that 2 or 3 times to get the full day's data in the formula. If I could just type the formula, as I can in the OS X version of Numbers, I would have the task completed in much less than 1/2 the time - maybe a 1/4 of the time. Since the link you helpfully provided also refers to the tap and drag, I am beginning to believe this is a major limitation of Numbers for iOS and there is no way around it. Still, I keep hoping.

Jun 25, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Camping Doc

I have run into that situation several times. Microsoft Excel is free! so that is what I am using now for complicated spreadsheets. Is easy to use and the interface is almost the same as the PC/Mac version.

However if you like Numbers better, then the work around will be, leave the spreadsheet on iCloud, then update the spreadsheet using the Mac version or the web version of Numbers.

That is probably one of the goodies that Apple thinks we don't need. 😟 I hope I am wrong and somebody tell us how to do it.

Good Luck!

Jun 25, 2015 3:43 PM in response to wfpIndiana

Thank you. I have no idea how the previous answer got marked as Solved. I must have somehow done it accidentally. My situation is not really solved, though, wfpindiana, your response probably comes closest. I guess this is a feature that Apple doesn't think we need on our iOS devices. I will do as you suggested - access the file on my MacBook Pro as often as I can and use the iPad mostly for data entry. The only problem is, my wife does not have laptop, so she is stuck with the old tap and drag routine. I do appreciate your help.

Jun 29, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Camping Doc

Hi Camping Doc,

It may be time to step up your Numbers game. SUMIF() is the way to automate this whole process. Where is your sum cell in you table? Are you only concerned about the current day?

Here is an approach that automatically sums the current day. You would need a different formula to check yesterday but it would be a little more complicated.

User uploaded file

The formula in B10 =SUMIF(A,"="&TODAY(),B).

I did this on my mac because it is easier to get the screen shots so your input will look different.

quinn

manually entering formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.