Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate LUN Labels in Xsan Admin

We currently have two MDCs running Xsan 3.1 on OS 10.9.5. I recently noticed that in the Xsan Admin application, there are many duplicate LUN labels. (http://imgur.com/yvBnjWG) After doing a bit of research, I noticed that some of the duplicate labels were not assigned to a Storage Pool, so I tried to relabel one of these unassigned LUN labels.

The DATA_01 LUN Label is associated with Storage Pool Video and Volume VideoARCHIVE.

Right below that is a duplicate DATA_01 LUN Label not assigned to any Storage Pool or Volume. I renamed this duplicate (DATA_01 LUN Label to DATA_01a to try and resolve the duplicate situation.

This has made things worse, as now the volume, VideoARCHIVE is not accessible, and I'm getting many errors on the MDCs:

Not all drives available on stripe group 1 for filesystem ‘VideoARCHIVE’

Could not mount filesystem VideoARCHIVE, cvfs error ‘No such device’ (36)

Mount of volume ‘VideoARCHIVE’ failed (exit code = 22)

I cannot rename DATA_01a back to DATA_01 because Xsan Admin says “There is already a LUN with that name”.

Is there a way to at least rename DATA_01a back to DATA_01 so that VideoARCHIVE can be accessed? Is there a way to resolve the duplicate LUN label issue?

Thank you.

Xsan 3-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 2:53 PM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2015 5:00 AM in response to ddehoff

Are you using ATTO FC HBAs? If yes, did you by chance install the ATTO MP driver? That was causing duplicate LUN labels in Xsan Admin for me. Once I uninstalled the MP (Multi Pathing) driver and installed the standard ATTO driver, the duplicate LUNs disappeared once the clients reported back to the MDCs (you might need to reboot all clients after removing the ATTO MP driver).

Do you have a backup of your cvlabel list?

What is your output when running cvlabel -L ?

You will most likely need to re-label your LUNs using cvlabel, but I would not do this without having backup of the volume data.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man8/cvlabel.8.html

Duplicate LUN Labels in Xsan Admin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.